Chapter Thirty

Elain

The fur inside of my hood tickles my cheek as Azriel and I wait in the entryway of the manor. Tendrils of shadow curl over his entire body, some of them moving over my own. "Is it so cold there I have to wear these?" Azriel nods.

My sister and her mate appear from the study. "Vallahan makes the Winter Court seem warm. Fur clothing is a necessity there," Rhysand explains.

I study my husband's attire. All seven of his Siphons shine from his black battle armor. "Azriel isn't wearing anything like this."

"Siphon shields are very, very good at blocking out the cold."

Feyre draws me into an embrace and kisses my cheek. I can see the worry in her eyes. "We will be fine, Feyre."

I take Azriel's hand, and he leads me into the cold darkness that moves him across the world. The journey takes longer than usual. When our feet touches solid ground, I have to squint against the sudden brightness of brilliant sunlight against the snow. Several figures bundled in thick coats and hoods approach us. I tense at the sight of their weapons. Azriel lays a comforting hand on my back.

"Welcome, Elain and Azriel of the Night Court. Welcome to Vallahan." The words are thick. The male leading the group inclines his head towards us. "My name is Marrtin. I have been tasked with ensuring your stay with us is pleasant."

I put on my politest smile. "Thank you for the warm welcome. It is a pleasure to be here."

Marrtin beckons us forward. Azriel and I fall in step beside him while the other members of the party follow. "Is this your first time to Vallahan?"

"This is my first trip to the continent. I have never had a chance to travel before this."

Marrtin smiles. "It is an honor that we are the first land you have seen. It is not often a beautiful female such as yourself comes here. Many say it is too cold."

"The cold doesn't bother me. I am just thrilled I have this opportunity to see the world with my husband."

We reach the top of a hill where a tall wall made of felled trees greets us. The gates swing open to reveal several long buildings lining a road leading to the center of the town. I take Azriel's hand in my own. Marrtin leads us to a grand building towering over the others. "This is where our leader lives. She is expecting you."

"Thank you, Marrtin," I say. He bows again and leaves. Azriel pushes open the carved doors. Inside, a female greets us and offers to take my coat.

"I didn't know you were wearing that dress," Azriel says. I rub my hands along the black silk with small crystals woven in.

"What can I say? I wanted to match you."

He strokes my cheek as another faerie appears and leads us into the main hall. Three blazing fires heat the room from a long hearth in the middle. The light illuminates several intricate carvings of fur-clad warriors slaying creatures I've never seen before. At the other end of the room, a female High Fae sits cross legged on a small dias watching us approach.

I admire the pride and strength etched into every line in her face and her stance. Wisdom glows in her brown eyes. This female has seen battle. She has seen many things. At the foot of the platform, I dip into a deep curtsey. "Welcome to Vallahan. It has been a long time since we hosted members of the Night Court. I am Sigra, leader of the wandering warriors of this land."

"It is a great honor to be here, Sigra. I am Elain Archeron, emissary of the Night Court. This is Azriel--"

"Ah, the shadowsinger," Sigra says. Her lips curl into a slight smile as her sharp eyes take in the sight of his wings and the shadows curling around his face. "Your reputation precedes you. I have heard you have an aptitude for knowing things that others don't." Azriel smiles and bows his head. "I must admit that I am surprised your High Lord didn't send more warriors with you. I was looking forward to meeting the general."