Chapter Twenty-Three

Elain

Azriel gently touches my shoulder as I continue to stare at the spot where Lucien winnowed from. His arms around me dispel the rage threatening to overwhelm me. "I'm sorry," I whisper. I hide my face in Azriel's shoulder. The frigid air freezes the tears spilling down my cheeks. "I'm so sorry. This is all my fault."

"We'll deal with it," Azriel murmurs. His strong arms squeeze tighter around me.

The others approach us slowly, cautiously. I see Rhysand and Azriel exchanging a serious look before Feyre blocks my view. She squeezes my shoulder, her eyes full of sadness. "Let's go back home for now to discuss."

Feyre and Rhysand clasp hands and vanish back to the townhouse. Mor says she will meet us there after taking care of the bill. Cassian grabs Azriel's other hand and we step through the shadows and into the townhouse. The roaring fire does little to warm the ice in my veins. I might have just started a war that we cannot win.

Azriel leads me to a couch. He doesn't take his arm off of my shoulders. I can almost taste the fury and violence coming off of him in waves. His face doesn't betray a flicker of emotion, but the shadows move more frantically along his body. I pray silently that none of that anger is directed at me.

The others settle into their chairs, all eyes turned to the shadowsinger at my side. "My eyes just reported that Lucien arrived at the Spring Court a few moments ago." Mor's mouth drops open at these words. "The shields around the estate are still down. Tamlin is still... his behavior hasn't changed."

"What should we do?" Feyre asks. "I doubt that Lucien would listen to any of us. I've never seen him so angry."

"We cannot drag the other Courts into this," Rhysand says. "The war just ended, and the peace is still too new to risk our alliances."

"I'm sorry," I whisper. Azriel tightens his grip on me, a tendril of shadow wiping away the new river of tears.

"None of this is your fault, Elain," Rhysand assures me.

"This could have been prevented if I had... accepted the bond." Even now, the thought of being mated to Lucien makes me want to leap from the House of Wind. "I could have at least spoken to him."

"Elain, listen to me." I look up at the tone in his voice. The voice of the High Lord, the most powerful one to ever walk Pythian. "You are not to blame for the actions of Lucien. You were always free to choose to reject the bond. We would never have asked you to accept it if it would have made you miserable."

"I can't stand the thought of there being another war. Especially over me!"

"We will handle it. I promise." There is nothing but kindness in his violet eyes.

"I have never seen you so happy, Elain," Feyre chimes in. "We are your family, and we will do whatever it takes to keep it that way."

The lump in my throat prevents me from speaking, but my sister smiles her understanding. The anger on Azriel's face softens slightly as he strokes my shoulder. I lean against him, savoring the strength and warmth coming from him.

"Do we have a plan?" Cassian asks. "I don't want to wait and see what that... what he does before we make one."

"We could send a warning to the other Courts. Tell them what happened here and that we will handle it before Lucien can do the same," Mor suggests.

"Lucien was Tamlin's emissary for centuries. He probably has more friends, more connections in the other Courts than we do. I wouldn't put it past him to exploit them, to spin the story to his advantage," Rhysand says. "It wouldn't be hard for some of the others to believe, especially after I 'stole' Feyre away from Tamlin. To be honest, it was only the mating bond that saved us from being in the wrong."