20. Angelica in Doll Land

Author: JessicaOhSoRabbit

Genre: Mystery/Thriller

Status: Completed

Description: When Angelica's parents die in a car crash, she has to go live with an estranged aunt in a strange town named Sweetwood--a village filled with Grimm fairy tales, dark nursery rhyme characters, and real magic. But not everything that glitters is gold.

Surrounded by a gloomy village that doesn't feel so welcoming, Angelica starts to feel vulnerable. But when she's sent a welcome present dipped in blood, and the local kids around town begin to go missing.

Angelica soon realizes that while fairy tales may be real, monsters lurk within each story and every princess has her own demon. She may not be a princess, but she'll have to make a choice like one. She could either fight fate and lose her sanity in the process. Or, unravel the mystery around Sweetwood that she's somehow connected to once and for all.

Review: I don't exactly remember how I came across this book, but I never regret any second discovering Sweetwood--a place where magic truly exists. And most of all, the heroine Angelica is definitely a fresh breath to many of us who's a little bored of just-another-character main character. You know what I mean?

Many incidents actually happen because of Angelica, who's lost her parents in a young age, and always refuse to take in anything people in the village believe without her own judgements and thoughts. I particularly enjoy reading Angelica in Doll Land in first person, as I can know what's going on in this unique girl's head.

Not to mention how intriguing the story-plot is, the characters themselves are interesting enough to keep you turning and turning the pages. If you're not convinced, hear this.

You've probably seen Red Riding Hood everywhere--from the fairy tale to the bestseller, The Wishing Spell. But Marissa is different. People in town think she's crazy because she's always fighting a wolf. Now only Angelica can help Marissa because the wolf is invisible but to the two of them. And there's a white witch, Jenna Hill that sacrifices a particular thing to provide fresh water to the town, Jack Nimble, who writes the newspaper, and definitely charming and mysterious.

Angelica is marginalized by the village because of her grandfather who's got bad reputation. Now it is her fight to proof herself, while she discovers more and more secrets of the family and the town--as the children have gone missing and she can hear sounds others don't.

If you've read this far, why don't consider giving this story a try? The author, Jessica updates the story constantly so you don't have to worry about an unfinished story. Plus, there's already forty-one chapters uploaded, that give you enough content to read as the writer continues to update.

I hope this review piqued your interest. If you're already a reader of the story, drop a comment to let us and the author know, and tell us what you think of the story. You can always come back to respond to my review after you've checked the book out. Thank you for reading this, I hope you enjoy!

--marshemmallow