Rose and Savannah: Chapter 3

Rose's POV

I had now been home for a few a hours after meeting the stranger, who called himself 'the Doctor', who was the cause of my work place going up in flames. This meant that I wouldn't be getting paid until I found a new lousy job.

'I really should of stayed in school instead of following Jimmy Stones', I thought glumly.

As soon as I came in through the door, mum had rushed straight to me, with tears in her eyes, as she had seen what had happened on the news. Not to mention, her friends probably told her. After all, due to it being a large fire, the whole of central London had come to a stand still. But, after I had assured her that I wasn't in the building at the time and wasn't hurt a few dozen times, she had been on the phone non-stop to her friends (or anyone that would listen, really), saying that I should get compensation.

I had dropped the plastic arm onto the leather chair in the living room as soon as I was able to, and then had sat as far away as I could from it, watching the news of the incident on the telly.

"Oh, and here's himself", mum said, looking towards the front door.

I looked up and saw Mickey coming towards me.

"I've been phoning on your mobile for hours. You could of been dead! I can't believe your shop went up! Are you okay?", he asked, hugging me.

"I'm fine, don't make a fuss", I told him.

He finally let go off me, and asked, "But what happened?".

"I don't know", I replied back.

"But what caused it?", he asked.

"I don't know. I was outside when it happened", I replied.

Finally, there was a distraction of Mickey's questions in the form of my mother, who still had the phone in one hand to her ear, and Mickey busied himself with his own phone.

"It's Debbie on the end. She knows a man on The Mirror. Five hundred quid for an interview."

I reached for phone, knowing mum will have a go at what I'm about to do, but I honestly don't care right now.

"Give it here," I asked.

Jackie gave Rose the phone, as if ready to talk to Debbie. However, instead, Rose hung up on her, causing Jackie to roll her eyes at her youngest daughter.

"Well, you've got to find some way of making money. Your job's kaput and I'm not bailing you out....and you can forget about asking your sister for money as well 'cuz I'll make sure she doesn't give you any. You've got to learn to make money yourself by getting another job, getting compensation or doing an interview, which....oh look, you turned down", Jackie said, rolling her eyes again.

"Mum!", Rose exclaimed.

The phone rang again, which Jackie picked up quickly and replied to the person on the other end, who was no doubt another of her friends.

Rose was proved right when her mum said, "Beth, she's alive!", and walked out of the room to talk to her friend in more privacy, as she had seen Rose's eye roll and exaggerated sigh.

"By the way", Mickey started, "I know you haven't replied back to any of Vannah's texts or calls, which you should of done the minute you received one from her. She couldn't get through the house phone 'cuz of Jackie. You know how she gets, concerning people she cares about, Rose. I spoke to her just before I came in 'cuz I told her I'd tell her what was happening the minute I knew something, which I did when I saw you sitting here, alive. She was really worried and it sounded like she was going to cry....you know she doesn't like crying in front of people, where she is right now, stuck in the middle of London. Please, don't tell her I said about her crying, she'd probably punch me in the arm again!Let's just hope she's not too close to anyone right now so they don't get hurt!", Mickey said jokingly, yet being serious, gently rubbing his right arm, as if he still felt the punch Savannah last gave him when he saw her cry, which was when she was 10 and some older boys were giving her a tough time.

I laughed at the memory and then sighed. I knew I should of contacted her the minute I was able to, but I just didn't really want to talk to anyone, which was a bust thanks to mum. The fact that an hour and a half after I came home (which was the exact amount of time I spent reassuring mum I was fine and not hurt), I noticed that my phone was completely dead and only just now became fully charged, was also a big reason why I didn't contact her. I also didn't want to talk to her because I have never lied to her and I was preparing myself for what I'm going to say to her about the accident, because I will tell her everything that happened.

I sighed again and said to Mickey, "You're right. I should of contacted her when I was able to. It's just my phone died and mum was hogging the house phone - and you know how she is with the phone", we both chuckled quietly so that mum wouldn't hear what I said and I continued, "I'll text her now and then I'll call her a bit later to reassure her."

To: Savannah

Hey, I'm sorry I didn't contact you as soon as I was able, but I promise you I'm ok. Mum was an emotional mess for an hour and a half and then by that time, I realised my phone was dead :( and I couldn't use the house phone, unless I wanted to be eaten alive by mum! You know how she is with it :) You don't need to worry, I'm home. I'm not injured, I'm safe. Don't worry, one of your best friends just had a go at me for not answering you as soon as I got home and you can too later when I phone you :) but I promise you, I swear, my phone was dead and I am absolutely fine.
Love ya xxx
:)

"Okay, I've texted her", I told Mickey, "and don't worry, I told her you did your job," I teased.

Mickey laughed and started to relax, looking at the coffee table.

"What have you been drinking?", he suddenly asked, picking up my cup on the table and then putting it down as soon as he saw what was inside.

"Tea? Nah, nah. That's no good. You need something stronger, you're in shock, Rose. Come on, you deserve a proper drink. We're going down to the pub, you and me. My treat. How about it?", he asked enthusiastically.

"Is there a match on?", I asked, already knowing the answer.

However, Mickey replied with, "'course not babe, I'm just thinking about you."

But I wasn't having any of it, so I smiled and said, "there's a match on, ain't there?"

"That's not the point. But we could catch the last 5 minutes," Mickey told me.

My smile turned into a smirk, but I replied with, "Go on then. I'm fine. Honestly. Go. Before you go though, get rid of that," I asked, pointing at the plastic arm.

"Okay," he replied and stood up, bending back down to give me a quick kiss. "Bye," he started to walk past me, but not before I tried tripping him up. He eventually got away.

"Bye," I said to him.

Mickey then picked up the plastic arm and walked out the door.

Whilst I was watching telly, all I could think about was the strange man I had met who had saved my life.

'I hope he's okay', I thought.

~

Words: 1,359

I hope you enjoy this chapter! Please, tell me what you think what you think of it.

Please continue to read, vote, leave comments and follow me.

Thanks for reading!