Tooth and Claw: Chapter 28

New Chapter. Savannah, Rose, the Doctor (along with Queen Victoria) meet a new alien.

Hope you like it!

~

Savannah's POV
Dining Room

The Doctor and I were sitting next to each other, eating dinner, our hands intertwined, at a large table with Queen Victoria, Sir Robert and Captain Reynolds. Rose, suspiciously, hadn't arrived yet.

'There's definitely something going on here. Rose didn't take this long when we went to 1869,' I thought worriedly.

"Your companion begs you an apology Doctor, Miss Tyler," the head butler said, coming through the door with a silver tray. "Her clothing has somewhat delayed her."

"Oh, that's alright," the Doctor said, smiling, while I frowned suspiciously. "Save her a wee bit of ham."

"The feral child could probably eat it raw," Victoria said, causing me to squeeze the Doctor's hand tightly and bite my tongue, so as to not say something mean or rude to the Queen. The Doctor squeezed my hand back in comfort.

'She's lucky she's the Queen, otherwise I would be having a right go at her right now,' I thought, trying to calm myself.

"Very wise, ma'am," Captain Reynolds said, smiling and chuckling loudly. "Very witty."

"Slightly witty, perhaps," Victoria said, eying him. "I know you rarely get the chance to dine with me, Captain, but don't get too excited. I shall contain my wit in case I do you further injury."

"Yes, ma'am," Reynolds gulped, nodding his head. "Sorry, ma'am."

"Besides, we're all waiting on Sir Robert," the Doctor said, smiling at the man, as he tried to get the conversation away from Rose so that I could calm down.

"Yes. Come, sir. You promised us a tale of nightmares," I said, smiling at him as I calmed down slightly.

"Indeed," Victoria said, nodding her head. "Since my husband's death, I find myself with more of a taste for supernatural fiction."

"You must miss him," I said, looking at Victoria, as I thought about my father.

"Very much," Victoria said, nodding, looking sad. "Oh, completely. And that's the charm of a ghost story, isn't it? Not the scares and chills. That's just for children, but the hope of some contact with the great beyond. We all want some message from that place. It's the Creator's greatest mystery that we're allowed no such consolation. The dead stay silent, and we must wait." She sat back slightly, before smiling and looking at Sir Robert, wanting to change the subject. "Come. Begin your tale, Sir Robert. There's a chill in the air. The wind is howling through the eaves. Tell us of monsters."

~

Rose's POV
The Cellar

Flora and I had been taken to the cellar, where we had been chained up with the real staff and the Lady of the house.

"Don't make a sound. They said if we scream or shout, then he will slaughter us," the Lady Isobel said.

"But he's in a cage. He's a prisoner. He's the same as us," I said, not understanding what was wrong with him and why they were all scared of him.

"He's nothing like us. That creature is not mortal," Lady Isobel said, tears in her eyes.

After a few seconds of watching the man in the cage, he opened his eyes. They were pure black! As soon as he opened them, everyone looked away, some, including the Lady Isobel started crying, but I kept on looking at him, curious.