Chapter 1

"we're almost there" 

Your father murmured from beside you, his eyes steadily on the road as one of his hands left the steering wheel to confine yours. You glance at him before your eyes are back at the scenery through your car window. 

The driving became silent again as your mind was occupied with a lot of things and you know your father must be in the same state too. You don't mind though, neither of you, you know the two of you need it. After all, it's only two weeks after your mother passed away. It's grief in your little family, especially your father.

You always see how his eyes were filled with love every time he looked into your mother's eyes and it's rare to see your father not smiling when he talked to your mother. But it all disappeared from his features now, it almost feels like you lost both of your parents. 

There is so many time you caught him staring blankly at the wall or his plate when the two of you eat together. His smile was always forced, except when he talked to you but you still can see the sadness behind it. Maybe because you look a lot like your mother, it always reminded him of his deceased loved one. It doubles your agony to see him like that, to feel like, yourself, your face, was another reason why his grief never fade away.

And the thought was not welcome in your body. Your health getting worse ever since your mother is gone, well, you always have problems with your health in the first place. You would barely run and your asthma will come around to say hi, it is safe to say that you and P.E class don't get along. 

But it's fine, everybody is aware of your condition, even though sometimes it makes you sick of how everyone would treat you differently, you are still thankful for your life. You always told yourself it could be worse, they could bully you because of your weakness but it never happens. Everybody was so kind to you, you were never a popular kid—that kind of kid with almost the whole school was their friends, but you have enough people to call them friends. And you loved them, you enjoy your time with them. Maybe it's another thing that makes you silent the whole car journey, you were busy figuring out why would you leave your good life behind.

You always love your life in the big city, Tokyo, but you can't deny either that this change is what you and your father needed. 

It was a suggestion from your doctor slash your father's friend. Being his friend before even you were born, He encourages your father to move to somewhere less stressful for the sake of your health as well as the health of his best friend's mind and get a fresh start.   

Your father contemplated for a while to leave the city where he builds his life together with your mother from scrapes, but it looks like the ache of losing her there was way more unbearable. So he finally gives in, and now the two of you were on the way to your new life.

"we're here" your father's voice once again breaks the silence, "Miyagi"