Chapter 21

The sun begins to slip behind the horizon, leaving a trail of orange rays in the dark last summer sky. Your silky pink yukata has framed your figure perfectly. Sitting in front of your vanity mirror, You added faint pink on your cheeks and lips, gently smearing black mascara on your eyelashes just enough to define the line of your eyes.

You paused upon looking at your reflection, you can't believe you put on some makeup for particular someone. You blushed at your own action as you hastily put the makeup equipment down to tie up your hair in a bun and then strolled out of your room, to stop yourself before you put any more makeup on your face that can make you look ten years older. You hoisted up your yukata slightly so you don't step on it when you decent the stairways.

Your heart thumping loudly as you can hear Tanaka having small talk with your father in the living room. You haven't seen him for a week and you rarely talk to him. You just got a little time to talk to him on the phone after he finished the practice for the day during the summer camp. But usually, he is already exhausted so there's a lot of time he would go out like a light and leave you dumbfounded by talking to yourself. But now he's here, just five feet away from you and the day you've been waiting the whole week is finally here.

When you walk into the living room, your father and Tanaka instantly paused their little talk and looked at you with their mouth falling ajar. There's a moment when you thought the time is frozen because they're not moving in the slightest.

"Uuh... guys?" You flicked your finger together and it instantly ripped them out of their little trance,

Then your father lightly slapped Tanaka's thigh, "I think it's the right time for you to say something son"

"Uh... what should I say? she looks perfect..." Tanaka frowned, genuinely confused.

You blushed while Your father chuckled and shook his head, "Just go stand beside her, let me take a photograph of both of you".

"Dad..." you whined but he ignored you anyway and pulled out his phone. Tanaka complied and awkwardly stood beside you. You noticed he wears a casual outfit with loose black jeans and a baggy navy blue sweater.

"Are you taking a pic with your great-grandmother's tombstone or something!? put your arm around her" your father scolded making Tanaka jolt slightly and rigidly snake an arm around your waist. After another couple of scolding and orders from your father, Tanaka finally is able to relax his muscles.

After your father takes (God knows how many) pictures of you and him, you leave the house and walked in steps with Tanaka in the empty and quiet street. You were aware he couldn't keep his eyes away from you too long, he took glances every once in a while, but you just act like you don't notice it. Because you silently enjoy his attention that was only directed to you.

When you arrived, the venue was crowded. You keep getting separated from Tanaka if you stop pushing your way just for a second. This is not what you were expecting your first date with him would be; bumping into strangers with a strong scent of cheap cologne, sweats running down your back, and Strains of hair escaping from your neat bun.

A disaster—how you look at least.

And now you completely lose sight of him. All happened because you thought you catch sight of someone you know, you just took a quick glance but when you returned your gaze ahead, Tanaka's figure already disappeared.

You decided to break yourself from the solid human current and stand near some shooting game stall. You stood there as your eyes scanning surround you for any sign of your stupid baldy, but it was useless, there are too many people, and you keep mistook someone with a shaved head for him. It kinda makes you dizzy from looking at people's faces one by one, you thought it will be better to just make a call for him.

When you were about to take your phone from your purse to call Tanaka, two guys approached you, seemingly around your age. One of them is about your height while the other is just barely taller than you.

"You expecting someone?" the taller guy asked.

"yes, I am" you give him a reluctant smile just to be polite.

"friend?...boyfriend?" he inquired. You just ignore him and look for your phone in your purse.

"we can amuse you in the meanwhile" the short one chimed.

"you don't need to, he'll be here soon" you breathed as you finally found your phone.

"Oh come on, why would you choose a guy who makes you waiting instead of us who already here" the taller guy speak again as he took a step closer to you which makes you extremely uncomfortable.

"Listen, I really appreciate it if you could just... leave me alone" you stated as you step back.

"It will be fun—" he begins but was cut off by a voice and it immediately relieved you,

"Oi! She already told you to leave her alone, didn't she? Best to do what she said"

You looked back and saw Tanaka hastily walking toward you. His eyes sent daggers toward the guy while his hand tightened into fists. He was engulfed in a dark aura that sent chills down your spine. You always knew that he rarely has a gentle facial expression, but now just... boy, he looks damn pissed, and the stranger not even touching you. You kinda feel twisted as you find this side of him is irresistible.

"Who the hell are you?" the guy asked with an unpleasant tone.

"What do you think it looks like to you shrimp?—" Tanaka hissed as he snakes an arm around your neck and hunched to level the guy's height, which makes you shuddered because his warm breath fanning the back of your ear, "—I'm her boyfriend, now piss off before I break your jaw"

The shorter guy grabbed his friend's arm as if telling him to back off, like an animal sensing danger ahead. Smart moves, because anyone could tell Tanaka was not in the mood to be friendly. The taller guy scoffed as he squirmed off his arm from his friend, you could see he was trying to look tough but his adam's apple moves up and down to swallow nervously.

"Boyfriend?" you gave him a mock skeptical look when there were only the two of you left.

"I like how it sounds" he shrugged, "what? you don't like it?"

You smirk and gave a half shrug, "Nah... it sounds pretty good actually"