Chapter 6

"(y/n)!" Nishinoya hollered from the doorway of your classroom not long after the last bell rang.

"yes!?" you flinched as your head snapped around to look at him like someone who has been caught redhanded of stealing an ancient artifact. 

"let's go!"  he threw his thumb over his shoulder.

Jeez, just how fast he is

"Okay... just give me a sec" you quickly gather up your school equipment.

After that Enoshita and Narita joined the three of you in the hallway as well as another boy with dusty brown hair whose name is Kinoshita. Only when they're together and you standing in between them, do you realize that they all are not your average high school boy height, it's like walking with a lamp post around you, well, except for Nishinoya. The said teenager was only slightly taller than you.

When you arrived at the gym, Tanaka introduced you to two girls so you won't be alone. Turns out that they are the club's managers and they all welcome you. Seriously, there's no single person in this school who is not welcoming your presence. Even though your old school wasn't that bad, it's not hard to find people who're cynical or seemed like they're about to devour you. Although, there's a moment when you found a third year who is much taller than everyone else, is scary. He seemed like a guy who would lurk in the dark alley and scam younger girls, but once he spoke, you know he's a gentleman.

"You can watch from here with us (L/n)-san," said Kiyoko, a third-year who become manager since she was only a freshman. She pulled out one more chair for you to sit on and placed it beside her near the scoreboard.

"Just (L/n) is fine..." you assure her as you make your way to the chair, "heh.. why do I feel nervous?"

"Me too... this is actually my first time watching them," said Yachi the younger girl slash the soon-to-be new manager.

"So... (L/n)," Kyoko begins, " I notice Tanaka called you by your first name, are you two..."

"Hmm?"

"N-no... we're just friends" you quickly denied as you could guess what she means, "my late mother and his mother were friends, my mom used to take me here for summer vacation when I was a kid and we stay the whole summer in his house, so, yeah, our family pretty close and I'm such a crybaby back then so I won't go anywhere without him, he constantly acts like a proud big brother" you chuckled shyly.

"Big brother huh?" Kyoko smiled with a hint of mischievous, it was vague, but you still can see it.

"What?" you still smile but a small frown etching on your face.

"Well, the way I see it—" Kyoko cannot finish her sentence as a whistling sound boomed across the gym, "—oh it's already started," said Kyoko as her attention glued to the court making Yachi and you following suit.

In the last second, before the game started, you notice Tanaka turned his head to you. He pointed a mandatory finger at you and mouthed 'watch me'. You give two thumbs up as a confirmation that you would watch him.

As soon as the ball flew across the court from the first serve, everyone looked calm and their eyes only focus on the ball. Even the energetic-Nishinoya was so quiet. The Karasuno's player shown an amazing skill throughout the game and easily winning two set straight. you actually feel bad for the opponent, Somehow It just doesn't seem fair, like the skill gap between them is too wide.

Your shaved-head friend who loves to boast how great he is, is indeed a good player. It actually surprised you how fast his spike is, even though it's not as strong as that bearded-guy-Asahi but come on, that guy has a body of a tank. Well, you kinda expected it anyway that Tanaka is a strong player after he changes into the team uniform, you could see he has some muscle. And frankly speaking, it kinda turned you on—What the hell am I thinking' you mentally slapped yourself.

Even though the game passed pretty fast, it still ended when the sun already set. You admit it, it kinda spent you. You never really stay late in school like this and you secretly envy those volleyball players who looked like they still can run another two miles.

After the team had a short briefing after the game, Tanaka jogged lightly toward you.

"Now You know how great I am, right? Right?" Tanaka laughed dramatically.

"Yeah... not bad, but I think that little-guy-number 10 still take all the spotlight" you smirked while Tanaka laugh comes to a halt and gives you an unamused look.

"W-well as a senp—" Tanaka stammered but paused when his eyes focus on your face, "—you look pale, are you feeling alright?"

"I'm fine" you shrugged.

He sighed as he knew after hearing your words that you're actually exhausted, "Wait here, I just have to change really quick then we can go home" With that, he dashed away and grabbed his stuff on the way out.