Chapter 22

Fireworks burst through the dark night, fiery blooms amongst the stars, but you couldn't make yourself care at the display, your eyes locked on your companion who sat beside you, the man you have to admit you fall for.

You have pushed him away from your life for a month, then when you realized how stupid it was, you only got five minutes to talk to him before he has to leave you again and for another week. So now you will not waste away a moment like this when you were alone with him. When you can have him all to yourself. Watching every little thing about him, how his face was aglow with vivacious colors, how his lips curved into a small smile, how his eyes flickered at every firework that explodes above. You enjoy every little detail of his presence, how sometimes the wind carries his scent that you loved to your nostril, how his biceps gently brushed against yours, and how warm it felt.

"You're going to miss the fireworks," Tanaka murmured as his eyes still looked at the ignited sky. You instantly turned your face away and blushed. Your heartbeat accelerates when you looked back at him and found he already watching you. He rested his chin on his arms that are folded on top of his knees and had his usual smirk on his face.

"I just..." you cast your gaze to the ground real quick before you brave yourself to look him in the eyes again, "I miss you... "

He didn't say anything back as his smile falter, "I'm sorry..."

"Why are you sorry?" you frowned.

"It's just..." there's a long pause as if he trying to find the right way to say it, "you were broken, I can see it, I can see it very well but... I'm not good at fixing things,  I don't know what to do, I was afraid I will make it worse... in the end, all I did was leaving you alone" he paused again, "I shouldn't just give up when you—"

"hey..." you cut him off to stop him to go any deep into guilt because of your messed-up choice, "I'm the one who told you to leave me alone, remember?" you let out a half hearty chuckle.

"you were screaming actually" he let out a bitter laugh.

"I'm sorry..." you chuckled as you drop your face into your palm, "That was really stupid."

"I'm not gonna leave you again..." he stated quietly, sounding more like a promise to himself.

You raise your head to stare back at him, "You really mean that?"

He hummed as an affirmative answer while still not breaking away his gaze from you. There was a long silence when you and he just stared into each other's eyes. Letting yourself lose in your favorite brown eyes until they drop to your lips. You could hear your own heart pumping in your chest when he slowly leans closer to you. You can feel the heat that radiates from him when his nose feather light brushing with your own.

Then all of a sudden something drops on his shoulder from the tree above. You and he instantly scream and break apart when you could figure out that it was a massive, scary-looking spider that fell on him.

seriously!? what is it with bugs and my alone time with him!!!

"Don't go anywhere near me!" you screeched as you sprint away.

"Where is it!?" he shouted as he jumped to his feet to shake off the spider.

"Uh, I think it's on your back!" you shouted meters away from him. He decided to take off his sweater and throw it on the ground. Leaving him with only a sleeveless white shirt he wore underneath.

"Die! you damn thing!" he yelled as he repeatedly stomped on his sweater.

"What are you doing!? You're going to ruin your sweater" you scolded even though you start to laugh.

"I will burn it if I have a lighter with me right now!" he grunted as he stormed to you,

"Let's just go away from here, that thing could have a whole army up there" he hugged himself as he glanced warily toward the tree you both sitting under just a second ago.

"What about your sweater?" you glanced back at the poor piece of clothes.

"Who cares!" he grabbed your hand and tugged you away.

You both ended up walking all the way back home arguing about the spider, but even as you argued with him, your hand and his are still entwined with each other.

"Thanks a lot by the way," he said sarcastically.

"What?" you lifted your shoulder in a half shrug.

"I could have died!" he threw one of his arms in the air.

"A tiny spider can't kill you" you gave him a dismissive wave.

"It will be convincing if only you don't run away like that" he deadpanned as he stopped when the two of you reached your house. You keep walking to open the gate of the fence of your house but you can't reach it due to Tanaka won't let go of your hand.

"What's wrong?" you looked back and raised your eyebrows.

"I just remember something—" he whispered as his eyes stared far.

"What is it?" you tilted your head. Then He leisurely closed the distance between you and him and captured your lips in a kiss. You gasped as you felt your heart is about to explode inside your chest. He gave more pressure to your lips before he slightly pulled back and murmured against it, "—I don't get to do it before"

He then breaks away to swiftly turned around and strode away as if nothing just happened.

"See you tomorrow" he waved while you are frozen in the spot, still trying to register what just happen. You stood still even after his figure disappeared around the corner.

"tch... he made my first kiss become a hit and run. Jerk..." You smile as your finger touches your lips where you still could feel the warm touch of his soft lips.    

- End -