Chapter 14

"Good morning..." Tanaka greeted you cheerfully as you step out of your house.

"Morning..." you said quietly as your eyes flickered real quick to his eyes before they fall to the ground, what Ayame said about the effect he had in his eyes everytime you're around, make you scared to look him in the eye. "H-how's your weekend?" you try to converse with him to avoid him being able to sense your little fear.

"It was really difficult, but I don't expect less from the four strongest schools in Tokyo" he marveled. You get on his bike and snake your arms around his waist and then he started to move. A morning routine the two of you always do. Ever since Tanaka bought a bike, he always picked you up and you would go to school together with him. Then he would ride you home after school before he has practiced with his volleyball club.

"They must be really skilled to make you say that" you smiled.

"Well, they become a whole, complete team long before us" he shrugged.

"Does it make you less confident?" you inquired curiously.

"No... it was the opposite, it makes me excited... because it just tells us that there's a lot of work for us in the matter to catch up to them"

"That there's still a room to grow..." you chimed in.

"Exactly..." he grinned as he whipped his head to look at you.

"Eyes on the road!" you slapped his back.

"Sorry..." he quickly turned his head back to the road.

...

School passed as basic as it could get. Light conversation. Boring studies. More homework. The only savior was your club activities. There are an annual art and cultural week about to happen in town, it's an exhibition and contest that's always being held in Miyagi every year. The contestant usually not only from inside Miyagi itself but also come from all the prefectures around Miyagi, it's such a big event that will bring a certain pride to the school who came out as a winner. This year was Karasuno's turn as well as three other high schools in the prefecture to be the event organizers so the student council has asked the art club to assist them became the committee.

As part of the art club, you automatically have to be on one of the committees. So now You were staying late in school to have a briefing for the main meeting with the other three high schools. It's like planning a plan. The overall of the briefing is pretty much to inform everyone where the meeting will be held for the four schools and when the date is.

In the middle of the meeting, you heard your phone chirp as a text message appeared. It was from your Father that told you he has an urgent about his work so he has to go to Tokyo for one night and two days.

"Okay, that's all for today! Let's show them our capability to work in a team the next time we met" the president of the student council clasped his hand. Everyone cheered in unison before they bid goodbye and one by one left the meeting room. 

Just before you reach for your bag, you feel your friend elbow you lightly on your side. When you looked up at her, she already has a wide smile on her as she tilted her chin toward the doorway. You follow her gaze and found Tanaka waiting for you outside, his face lit up as soon as you met his eyes and so did you. You mouthed 'wait' to him as you grabbed your bag that laying near your feet.

"So I'll pick you up on Wednesday, right?" you voiced out again the plan you have made with her to go to the next meeting together.

"Yeah... I'll text you my address " she nodded.

"Okay, then I'll get going"

"Thanks for the hard work" she waved.

"Thanks for the hard work" you returned the gesture and sauntered to meet up with Tanaka in the hall.

"How long you've been waiting?" you asked as the two of you made your way out of the building and into the school's Sheffield bike stand.

"I just get here when the door opened, we were taking extra time to talk about the summer training camp" he shrugged.

"Summer training camp? You're going to Tokyo again?"

"yeah... this time we're going for a week"

"a week!? Wow... you guys really love Volleyball, huh?" you marveled, "when are you going to leave?"

"Next month—" He answered as his phone goes off and he quickly picked up the phone after he saw 'mum calling'.

"Yeah, yeah she's here with me, why?" he asked as his steps come to a halt. You stopped too and give him a questioning look.

"Oh okay" with that he hanged up and turned to you.

"Mum doesn't want you to be alone tonight, so she wanted you to sleep over in our house" he informed you.

"What? How did... she..." it taken you back for a moment before a realization hit you, "Dad..." you whined. "This is embarrassing, I'm not gonna die just because I sleep alone" you continued to whine.

He chuckled lightly and wrap his hand around your neck before dragging you along, "let's go, we're gonna make a quick stop at your house first to pick up a change clothes for you"