Chapter 16

"I'm home..." you stated to no one in particular as soon as you entered your house. The driveway was still empty so you know your father was not home yet. You ascent the stairs and strolled into your room. Tossing yourself in your bed and your bag somewhere in the room.

A low battery warning sounded from your phone, making you remember your charger got left behind at Tanaka's house when you left the house for school this morning. With a long exasperated sigh, You forced yourself to get up and change up your school uniform into a casual outfit before you go to Tanaka's house.

Their house was only 11 minutes walking from your house, except if you would take a shortcut through a shrine, it will only take 5 minutes but the place creeps you out so you rather took the long one. It's not that long anyway because without you realizing, Already insight is Tanaka's house.

"Ryu... you're home already? " You heard a girl's voice ask as you casually walk to their front gate. Being only separated by a thin wall-plant fence, you could hear them clearly. It looks like Saeko was already back home because you recognized that loud and merry voice everywhere.

"No practice today" this time you recognize the voice belongs to Tanaka.

"So where are you going then?" she asked again.

"(Y/n)'s house" Tanaka answered in a low tone.

"ho~oh... a date?" you blushed as you heard Saeko's voice sound again,

How could she ask that like it was nothing

"What!? No! her phone charger got left behind, I'm just going to drop by"

Of course, he would do that, why did I make my way all the way here

"Hmm... so you don't tell her yet?"

Your steps come to a halt as you heard Saeko ask him with a teasing voice. All of this eavesdropping felt so wrong. Somehow You sense it's gonna be a sibling's private conversation, but your curiosity got you better.

"Tell her what?" asked Tanaka.

"that you love her~" she sang. you froze, while your chest started to hurt as your heart beat so fast. You were aware that there was a slight moment of silence coming from Tanaka.

"What are talking about? don't say things like that out of nowhere."

"so I was right, am I?"

"mind your own business"

"what? You hate her?"

your instinct telling you to just turned and leave, but somehow your leg listening to your heart more. Because even if it's faint and you probably don't notice it, you actually wanted to know what's his answer.

"I don't hate her" Tanaka mumbled.

Oh okay, that's not so bad

"That means you love her..." Saeko teased again.

"I gotta go..."

"Admit it, Ryu"

"Move..."

for god's sake these strong-headed siblings, just...

"Admit it..."

"Move or—"

"Or what? Go ahead, I would like to see it"

Oh boy This is not going to end well

Then you can hear some muffled scuffling and grunts, and then some pain groan—you guess it came from Tanaka.

"You are too naïve if you think you could stand against me Ryu" Saeko laughed darkly.

"I'm not gonna admit it to you!" said Tanaka through greeted teeth.

"You better decide carefully, you little punk" Saeko stated before you could hear Tanaka's groan getting louder.

"She deserves to hear it first!" Tanaka struggled to voice out, "Not you, you crazy woman!"

"Ha! So You do love her!" 

"OF COURSE I LOVE HER! Only an idiot wouldn't—" Ryu snapped and continued to rant, but you can't keep up with everything he said because you were busy for keeping your heart in its place. Now you just wanted to punch yourself for not just walk away. Knowing this will only ruin everything, you don't want this kind of information. It's gonna make everything complicated, like when you pulled the base of a stacked block, a simple wrong move will make everything crumble.

You just want to spend your day where you would listen to his stupid joke and watch him laugh. You just want to be beside him, period. Nothing else, not this sappy talking about feeling. What if it wears off someday, or, or what if it is too deep and makes him suffer?

This feeling you felt, however, is alien to you, you were sure you hate that you have to know about it and that it frightens you, but you can feel a hint of joy deep inside you.

All of the thought and the contradictory feeling that fighting inside you was taking over your mind and even your body, making you too late to realize that Tanaka has stopped his scuffling and bickering with his sister and that he already left his yard and now he stood in front of you.

"(Y/n)..." he murmured as he was petrified upon seeing your figure.

You gulped hard as you brainstormed yourself to come up with something so you wouldn't have to look like a total eavesdropping idiot, 

quick say something!—

"I..."

shit! what should I say?

"...gotta go"

Stupid

With that, you turned on your heel and ran like your life depend on it. You heard Tanaka calling you from behind, but your mind was racing ahead of you and all you could think is that you just wanted to disappear.