Chapter 15

"I'm home" Tanaka stated as both of you entered the house.

"Ryu, (Y/n), dinner on the table" His mother's voice was muffled from her room.

"Okay" Tanaka responded to his mother. You and Tanaka arrived after dinner time, so you expect everyone must have their meal already. It was normal for Tanaka because the said boy come home late a lot due to his volleyball practice.

"Do you want to have dinner or a bath first?" Tanaka asked.

"Bath" you answered. It feels like your uniform will merge with your skin if you choose to have dinner first.

"Alright..." he marched upstairs and into Saeko's room to put your bag there. You have always slept in her room every time you would stay at the Tanaka residence, so it was something casual to just put your stuff in her room. When you catch up to him you realized the room is currently empty.

"Where's Saeko-neesan?"

"She's out of town, her Taiko drumming team has a performance at some festival in Yamagata tomorrow" he informed you.

"Oh..." you nodded.

"Well, I'm going to take a bath in the bathroom downstairs so you can take the one in upstairs. Then we can eat dinner together" he said before disappearing out of the room. 

When you have your dinner with Tanaka the rain starts to pour outside and it's getting worse every minute. Then, when you get back to Saeko's room to turn in for the night it becomes a thunderstorm. You silently thankful for your Dad and Tanaka's mother, because, if there's one thing that made you stay awake at night, that will be the loud booming sound of thunder.

There's one time when you were little, you accidentally watched some disaster movie where the scene shows you a lightning strike straight to a house and make the roof crumbled and the household was buried alive. It was too much of a horror for a kid at your age. You don't get to finish the movie when your mother walks into the room and she panicked when she saw you watch the movie. She quickly turned off the tv, but the damage already done, you been afraid of thunder ever since.

If right now you were alone at your house, you probably wrapping yourself in a thick blanket and cowering in your closet. Even though you know there are other people in the house, it couldn't make it easy to fall asleep, you just wish that Saeko is here with you right now.

You fidgeted in your futon as you forced your eyes to shut, but every thunder that blared outside just can't be ignored. Remembering Tanaka was just in the room next to yours, You dragged your futon near the giant wooden sliding door that separated Saeko's room from his room. you lay back inside your futon again and turned on your side to slide open the door. You do it slowly to make sure you don't make any sound in case he's already sleeping and possibly could result in waking him up.

You open the door until as wide as your upper body. The lights in his room were already out, but he still awake. You saw him already laying on his futon but he still playing with his PSP. He holds the game console above his face and seemingly not aware of you opening the door.

"Ryu..." you whispered.

He jolted as his head snapped to look at you and accidentally dropped the PSP on his face.

"Son of a... bitch" he exclaimed.

"Pfff—" you slap your mouth to stop yourself from laughing,

"Gah, feels like my nose just fall off my face" he writhed and lay on his stomach, using his elbows to prop his chest up while his hand holding his nose, "I think my face can tell you the whole weight of that damn thing"

"—I'm sorry" you uttered as your body shook with silent laughter.

"Yeah, I can see that" he stated sarcastically, "what is it?" he asked as he made sure he doesn't have a nosebleed.

"I couldn't sleep," you said in a hushed tone. He sighed and slipped out from his futon, then dragged it toward you. He made both of your futons laid side by side, only being separated by the sliding door. Once he put it beside you, he slipped back inside the futon.

"Ya know, I don't think I can't keep tabs on the things you were afraid of" he smirked.

"It's a childhood trauma... I can't help it" you huffed as another thunder sounded again and made you flinch. "We're gonna die..." you whimpered.

"No one gonna dies..." he said and you can imagine he rolled his eyes, " We're safe, you're safe, nothing can hurt you here. 

"Just focus on my voice" he talked again when another loud thunder sounded, 

"keep talking then..." you whispered.

"Uh-oh.. you shouldn't say that now I don't know what to say," he said and silence engulfs the two of you again.

"Hmm..." you hummed, "tell me something... I didn't know"

"I— " his tone was long as if he trying hard to think of something, because as long as he knows you almost know everything about him, " —hate spiders..?"

You snort "I know that..."

"hmm..." he paused for a moment.

"do you know my mum's favorite flower?" he breathed.

"The one in the kitchen, right? on the window frame," you yawned.

"Yeah... well, let me tell you a secret that no one knows... the flowerpot was not the original, I broke it once, but no one was home at that time, so I quickly cleaned up the mess and change it. And the new one I bought has a darker shade. Mum kinda notice this, but the difference was too vague, so she asked everyone whether it looks different or not, but everyone keeps on telling her it was the same pot. It's driving her crazy" He chuckled.

"It's like a lifetime prank, poor aunt Miwa" you chuckled softly as your eyes started to close and somehow the thunder sound can't reach your ear anymore.

The last thing you remember was only his voice.

"Sleep tight (Y/n)"