Chapter 20

"Why?" was the only word you could utter after you heard the news.

"He transferred to a preparatory school for college, so he could be prepared for college better. He will live there with our aunt" she informed you.

"Why... why would he do that?" your shoulders dropped, "He can prepare for college from here... right?"

"Dunno, something about being unwanted here, looks like he doesn't want to live here anymore" she shrugged.

"B-but..." you stammered.

"What is it?" she tilted her head.

"N-nothing," you quick to respond to her, and act like it was nothing, "When will he be leaving?"

"He just did..." she jerked her thumb toward the highway,"—Ah! But I think he needs to stop by at school first to take some student transfer file or something, so he should be still at the school right now"

"Oi! Saeko! Hurry up!" a guy called her, seemingly about her age.

"Sorry, but I gotta go, see you around" she waved you off and scurries to her friend.

"O-okay..." you said, still slightly in a daze. You turned on your heels and walk away from the store as your body switched to auto mode. Your mind flying out from your head but your feet keep moving.

He's leaving and I don't know anything about that? why? Why would he... he will live far away from here and he thinks I don't deserve to know? Did he hate me that much?

Without you realized you took the road that leads you toward school. Your pace got faster and faster to the point where you ran like you were being chased by a grim reaper that was ready to snatch away your soul.

Your lungs started to burn and your breath come out in a short. Your sweat trickled down your temple and your clothes started to dampen from the sweat, but it doesn't stop you until you reach the school.

You pant heavily as you bend forward and rest your hand on your knees. You notice that there's a white van parked in front of the school and some people surround it but you don't have time to recognize them when your eyes found the one who you were looking for.

"Ryu!" you screamed out what's left on your lung and gained his attention... and so did everyone else around him. You tried your best to move your feet and not pass out from lack of air. You staggered toward him while he looked stunned upon seeing your figure.

"Don't leave..." you croaked in between your ragged breathing and clutching the front of his black volleyball team jacket.

"W-what?" he puzzled.

"I'm... so sorry for everything I said," you said, once you got a little air back to your lungs, "I regret every second of it, I was afraid I might hurt you if I let go myself and told you the truth, that's why I pushed you away"

"What truth?" he muttered.

"T-that--" You paused and swallowed hard, you don't really think that much when you spurt out the sentence, "that..."

"What?" he pressed. The realization of the fact what you're about to tell him made your cheeks get warm while your heartbeat raised like you have another marathon. You hide your face from him by letting your forehead fall on his chest and declaring "that I fall for you too!". You feel his breath hitched and his body tense as soon as you finished your statement.

"I love you too goddamit... so don't leave, don't leave me..." you tear up.

After a moment, you feel a gentle press on top of your head and on your small back. He has you engulfed in his warm embrace, "I know you didn't mean what happened back there, but I'm glad to hear it directly from you... but I still have to leave, I really have to leave, like, right now, so... can we continue this after I get back?" 

"Wait, what? get... back? " you pulled back from the hug and startled him because your face is messed up. Your eyes are already red and puffy, and some tears still run down your cheeks.

"O-oi... why are you crying?" he panicked as he tried to wipe your tears with calloused fingers.

"Because Saeko-neesan told me you're going to move to Tokyo..." your breath hitched as tears flooded your eyes again.

"Move?" he was taken aback, "I am going to Tokyo, but it's just for a week, I'm just going to a volleyball summer camp, I already told you that, remember?"

Your cries instantly come to a halt as you try to process it, "B-but... she said you were transferred to a preparatory school for... college"

"That is ridiculous, there is no such thing as a preparatory school for college," he said.

"Eh?" now that I think about it— you scanned your surrounding and realized that the people who stood around him were the Karasuno's volleyball team members. They all indeed looked like they were about to go somewhere far and for days, they all wearing Karasuno's volleyball team jacket and a duffle bag on their shoulder. 

All of the boys smirked as they watched you and Tanaka. You were currently the center of their attention. You were sure you could fry an egg on your face right now because it burning hot. You swallowed hard as you slowly buried your face in Tanaka's chest again to hide your embarrassment –IT IS RIDICULOUS! How could I be so stupid? dear god just fucking kill me now.

"This is so embarrassing..." you muffled against his chest while your grip on his jacket tightens.

Tanaka's chest rumbled with laughter, "Dumbass"

"Remind me to murder Saeko-nesan after this" you hung your head.

"No way, I should thank her for this," said Tanaka, 

You pulled away from him and pouted while he has a lopsided grin on his face.

Someone cleared their throat and made you and Tanaka look aside. Sugawara smiled at the both of you, "I just wanted to say a few things—" 

"that is really sweet— ", he pointed both of his index fingers to you, 

"congratulation— ", then gave you two thumbs up, 

"aaand we have to go" and pointed both of his index fingers again toward the white van.

"r-right..." you said sheepishly but you still clutched Tanaka's jacket. Everybody started to dawdle inside the minibus and leaving Tanaka alone with you.

"Don't worry, I'll be back..." he assured you when he noticed your grip doesn't loosen in the slightest, "Say... when I get back, let's go to the summer festival together"

Your eyes lit up as a smile grew on your face, and you nodded as you finally let go of your grip on Tanaka's jacket. He grinned at your reaction as he realized how much he misses seeing that, at how much he misses you. Then, his body moved out of his instinct to smooth back your hair and pressed his lips to your forehead. You stood still as you felt a warm fluttery feeling in your stomach.

"Ittekimasu" he smirked as he walks back slowly to the vehicle, not really wanting to break away his eyes from yours.

"Itterashai" you smiled as a blush visible on your cheeks.