Chapter 18

It's been a week since the storage room incident. You still don't talk to Tanaka. Both of you still avoided each other gazes.

You don't go to school together anymore, of course. He's busy with his volleyball practice like always while you were busy being on a committee and all. You would pretend to not be aware of his presence when you passed him in the hall, and so did he. Your closest friends get worried and start to ask you what is happening between the two of you, but you manage to maneuver from the topic and talk about anything else instead.

After several days passed, he started back to his usual loud and cheerful self but only when he was surrounded by his teammate in the volleyball club.  You know this when you passed by the gymnasium and accidentally hear him laugh. He was rather different in the class or anywhere you'd be around. Somehow this situation just felt too much familiar, a situation where your presence is a reminder of grieving.  

There were a lot of times when you wanted to talk to him but always ended up holding back the urges and carrying on with your life. There's no single time passed without you missing every little moment with him. You even miss his scent. Never in your life, you would think you're gonna miss someone this much when you literally can reach him just by extending your hand.

You were aware he was slowly slipping out of your life, but your heart is such a mess, and your mind is in havoc.  You thought it was for the best but why did it leave a bitter taste that couldn't be fixed? you don't know what's right anymore. You don't know what to do.

And you hate yourself because of this.

"(Y/n)... you're still here, you're not going home?" someone broke your deep thought as you lost yourself starring in the rain that currently pouring. When you focus your mind back to earth, you found Sugawara coming over to you.

"Suga-san..." you slightly bowed at him, "yeah I'm about too, I'm just waiting for my friend"

"I see..." he smiled as his eyes flickered to starred at the rain as well, "it's raining a lot lately, huh?".

you nodded to respond him.

"Did the volleyball practice not over yet?" you glanced at him.

"We already wrapped everything up... I just finished changing actually" he held up a bundled white shirt in his hand.

"(Y/n) sorry for waiting..." a voice has drawn your and Sugawara's attention, you notice your friend you were waiting for, already walking out the building and into the overhang where you stood.

"Ah... there she is" you murmured.

"Well then, I'll get going" Sugawara chimed.

He's about to leave when you quickly stop him, "Suga-san..."

"Hmm?" he turned to you.

"I... um, could you give this to Ryu..." you raised your arm with a folded umbrella in your hand, "–-he has a knack to forgot his umbrella"

"he did..." Sugawara chuckled heartily, "sure, I'll give it to him" he shrugged as he took the umbrella from your hand.

"b-but! could you do me one more favor," you stuttered,

"yeah, what is it?" he inquired.

"don't tell him it was from me..." you said warily.

"Uuh... okay," he nodded.

"Thanks, Suga-san, sorry for the trouble" you bowed to him.

"It's fine" he assured you with his warm smile.

"Okay then, I'll be going..." you waved to him and hurriedly join your friend under her umbrella.

"Take care..." he waved you back.

"You too..." you speak a little loud so he can hear you over the rain noises. You leave the school while Sugawara advance to the gym. Once he gets there, everyone is ready to leave.

"What took you so long Suga..." Daichi scolded lightly.

"Ah sorry, sorry" he apologized and scurry in to pick up his bag. Once he got his bag and join the rest of the team in the breezeway, Daichi immediately locks up the gym. The boys one by one pull out an umbrella from their bag and spread it open then excuse themselves to leave.

"What's wrong Tanaka? did you forget your umbrella again?" Asked Asahi as he noticed Tanaka looked trouble while rummaging his bag.

"Yes, yes I did..." Tanaka sighed.

"I could walk you home Ryu..." Nishinoya offered, his hand holding up his umbrella.

"Uh... you don't need to" Sugawara interrupted, "he can use my umbrella, here" Sugawara handed Tanaka the umbrella you gave him earlier.

"What about you Suga-san?" Tanaka tilted his head as he took the umbrella.

"I have another umbrella" he shrugged.

"You carrying two umbrellas in your bag?" Daichi raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"You don't?" Sugawara opened up his own umbrella and sauntered away.

"I don't even have two pencil in my bag..." Daichi murmured as he took a step to leave as well.

"Well, I'll get going too," Asahi said goodbye to the last two boys who standing in the breezeway,

"Let's go, Ryu!" Nishinoya said as he walked ahead with his umbrella.

"O-ossu..." Tanaka whispered as he unfolded the umbrella and caught up to Nishinoya. After several minutes of walking, he noticed there was a small bunny doodle near the rim of the umbrella and it instantly make him snort out a laugh.

"What's wrong?" Nishinoya asked curiously.

"Nothing..." Tanaka shook his head as the corners of his mouth quirked up, "I just get the feeling I don't have to return this to Suga-san."