Memory 6 | Heaven And Hell

RAVI'S POV :

Flashback ~
Gangwon Province, 2007.

I could barely feel my own skin as I kept pulling the hem of the sweater to cover my exposed fingers. The winter wind of that vast mountain was way too crueller than I had expected and I was freezing out in the cold all by myself. Gradually, I even began to resent myself for taking off on my own in a fit of blind rage. I should have grabbed a thicker winter coat at least.

"Gwenchana... Kim Wonshik. Your anger is justifiable. I mean, who on earth would visit mountains in this freezing winter? Appa's sense of vacation is seriously awful... When I become famous and start making money, I should send him on a proper vacation... Ah! Cold! Cold!"

I kept walking ahead without a proper sense of direction in that freezing winter. That was when I heard the frosty wind carry her faint voice from afar. Recognizing the song immediately, I rushed to the source of it and soon, I found myself stopping at the foot of that giant mountain range. In front of the hollow road which I believed might lead to the mountain top, there was a girl.

She was dressed up in all white except for her black boots as she sat on that snow-covered bench unaffected by the frost with her legs dangling happily. She continued singing without even noticing my presence and she definitely wasn't bothered by the cold either. And the serenity of her voice was too dreamy and delicate, as it felt completely otherworldly.

"Take all, even the good memories
Because without you, it'll only be a burden for me
It'll only increase my yearning if I keep opening them
It stops my footsteps on the road back

Memory resembles love and I'll keep looking back
Because you're still there and that's why it must hurt
At least once, maybe at least once, in case you will look at me

I wait again today..."

"You've got a seriously serene voice there."

I finally spoke through my shivering lips as the girl instantly stopped singing and whipped in my direction. Her already big eyes, widened more in shock as a slight shade of red highlighted her pale skin beautifully. 

Frankly speaking, I am the type of person who does not believe in superstitious things that I can't rationalize, such as the afterlife or even the mere existence of heaven and hell. However, the divine beauty and heavenly voice of the girl standing before me proved all my heathen theories wrong and for the first time, I felt happy about it.

If heaven did really exist, then she was definitely an angel.

"Sorry to interrupt but who are you waiting for on a cold day like this, anyway?" I strolled towards her as she simply stood there staring at my face while I waited for her to speak or at least sing something again. After a long pause, she finally spoke.

"It wasn't meant for anyone actually. I was simply singing the lines that popped in my head." She began to grab her things as she answered, preparing to leave already. A sudden urge to make her stay for a while or longer surfaced in my heart as I rushed after her like a lost puppy.

"You're leaving already? Let me come with you. It's not safe for a girl to wander in these winter woods alone." I offered in the most casual manner but she saw the motive right through me as she smiled a little.