• Chapter 4 •

"Long ago there were hybrids, these hybrids lived on for many, many years until humans invaded their homes. They hunted them until eventually only a few thousand were left. These few thousand fled to a new land where they found human tribes. These hybrids mated with humans until their offspring became animals until every two full moons, where their human side showed for a month. The species of hybrids vary and if you find one, or you find that your pet is one, contact us immediately so they can be either euthanised or experimented on ." I read from my phone. I glanced over at a sleeping Yoongi and Namjoon.

I couldn't sleep because I was plotting on how to take them to work with me. I didn't want to burden Taehyung but I didn't want them to burn my apartment down. I sighed, typing up alternatives when one website caught my eye.

I recently found out my pet was one of those hybrid things, what do I do?

I scanned through the replies.

If you're asking this, then you don't want to go according to the law. But I understand. I am a scientist currently testing these sort of hybrids and I'm not fond of what I have to do either, which is why I'm sharing my wisdom.

I angrily declined the "sign up or login" pop up and continued reading.

You may want to know that in the human state, the hybrids can act very much like a child. If they are adults, they will have the mind of a teenager. This is because their brains may not have developed fully with only one month at a time to learn about how to act like a human. Each species require different necessities. If, for example, the hybrid is a horse. You may want to make sure they have plenty to do, e.g. Drawing, playing a video game, running. If the hybrid is a dog, you want to know what breed, and what stimulus they require to stay entertained and out of trouble. If there are any other problems, please contact me.

I felt someone fidget and when I looked up from my phone Yoongi was staring at me.

"What do you want Yoongi hyung." I whispered, he said nothing and pulled his top off. I felt my face heat up again and I peeled my eyes away from his body. He snatched the phone out of my hand and placed it on the table. He then proceeded to curl up next to me and tuck his head into my neck. His forehead was burning. Great, he's most likely got a fever and I have to take care of him like a parent.

I opened the drawer next to me and picked out some Paracetamol with the aid of my phone's flashlight. I always had a cup of water on the desk and I propped Yoongi up and shoved the water in his hand. I then opened his free closed fist and placed a pill. Cautiously, he gulped down the pill along with water and gave the cup back to me. I frowned when I looked down and there was no water left.

"Why didn't you just use words instead of... stripping." I stuttered, he shrugged.

"It's funny to see you so flustered." His mouth curled into a smirk as I cocked an eyebrow.

"Flustered? It's pitch black-" I frowned even more. "Oh wait, you're a cat hybrid."

"Best of the best." Yoongi winked, his ebony hair flattened to his skull. His hair kinda reminded me of a coconut. I hid a smile and turned on my side so my back was to him. As if nothing happened, he curled up against my back so it looked like a semi-spooning position. Stupid cat... person... thing. Always acting so pure and innocent.

Speaking of pure and innocent. Namjoon was still snoring softly at the bottom of my feet, his face buried in the royal blue duvet. I wasn't concerned about him because he got on so well with Seokjin and Hoseok. Poor Jungkook still preferred to cuddle with Taehyung, forgetting that he wasn't a small rabbit anymore.

Maybe I should take them to work with me and they can hide behind the counter and play on my phone or something. I know Yoongi would be sleeping and I'm pretty sure Namjoon would be content playing Sandbox. He always felt so accomplished when he did a picture.

****************

I flopped face first onto my bed.

Well THAT was a disaster.

Firstly, my phone died half way through my shift so Namjoon got bored. Secondly, the two kept bothering each other and had a few fights which wasn't pleasant to break up. Then I gave them ₩30000 each and they ended up spending it on clothes that they thought would go together. Key word: Thought. It ended up being a huge fashion disaster and I had to pick decent clothes for them.

On the bright side at least they didn't steal something and they have clothes that fit them.

I've also found that all the animals, both mine and Taehyung's, are becoming more... how can I put this?

Flirty?

That's the only word to fully describe it. Namjoon and Seokjin have been blowing "playful" kisses and winking at each other. Jungkook has become even more clingy to Taehyung and would always be in contact with him. For instance, he would be touching his shoulder or holding his waist. Hoseok has been nonstop joking with Yoongi, who sometimes plays along but usually swats him away. He's also been hugging everyone excessively, commonly back hugs. Yoongi... well he's been flirting with me.

He's always coming up with new ways to make me "flustered" or pretending to be innocent when doing something that would be perceived as sexual.

Taehyung and I were becoming concerned so we searched it up.

Oh how we wish we didn't.

I used the same website as before; it seemed to be the most trustworthy.

Why is my hybrid acting uncharacteristically flirty?

We both blinked at the huge word.

"Why did they have to use that big word." Taehyung moaned. I chuckled and continued reading it.

Once every four full moons, the second time they turn human, their animal instincts will kick in and they will want to mate with whoever they either have feelings for or are closest to. These people are chosen by the animals however they may not be completely aware that they are in what scientists call "heat". If the animal chooses you as their "heat mate", you may want to avoid any contact with them until the heat is over. If you respond to their calls, they may proceed to mate with you. Usually, they will over-power you even if you yourself don't want to mate. You have to be careful with how you act and what you say. If it is another hybrid, it will be just like two normal animals who are both in heat. Do not split them up to avoid any aggression. Remember that hybrids, just like humans, can be homosexual, pansexual, asexual, bisexual, queer etc. It is not unusual for hybrids to have different sexual orientations.

We stayed in silence, rereading the whole paragraph again. The guys are in heat? More importantly...

I'M YOONGI'S HEAT MATE?!

"Oh gosh this is bad." Taehyung said, anxiety in his voice. "I'm Jungkook's heat mate."

"I'm Yoongi's..." I didn't really know how to respond. "We have to stay clear of them."

"What if we swap? You have Jungkook and I'll have Yoongi."

"Sound good but who's going to have the other three. We can't split up Namjoon and Jin."

"You have Hoseok hyung and I'll have the dogs."

And thus, a restless night for both of us began.