Chapter 36

Forgive and let go of the past. Live for today. Look toward the future. Day after day, Paul McCartney had to remind himself to do these little things. The voice of Sadie replayed in his head; over and over again...

"What happened to both of us, was NOT your fault!"

The bassist promised with all his heart and dammit; he would keep that promise! Paul had a new outlook on life and had a chat with John--who apologised profusely for riling shit up. The younger man wasn't too sure if he should forgive and forget too easily...but he sighed remembering it's what his Sadie would've wanted.

From there on, things became a bit better for The Beatle.

___

Paul became more engrossed in his work with the band, not doing much of anything else.

More than two years had passed by since Sadie and their unborn child were laid to rest. Paul kept his promise to Sadie; staying clean and sober.

May of 1967 had been a great month for the lads- especially Paul. Their new LP Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was finally finished; and a huge party being held in their honor.

The DJ spun the tunes from the new disk; blasting the music throughout Brian Epstein house. Bodies swayed back and forth to the new sound pulsating.

All the Beatles seemed to be having the time of their lives. All except the left-handed bassist. Standing in a corner,near the staircase, Paul scanned the room. Customary cigarette in his left hand, puffing away with a sigh. Just looking at everyone having a wonderful time, made the singer even more depressed. He hadn't had a real, meaningful relationship since Sadie.

"Excuse me, Mr. McCartney. .." Paul felt a slight tug on his right arm, bringing him back to reality.

In front of the Beatle stood a pretty young woman- no more than about twenty-one. Her long blonde hair flowing down her back and emerald eyes sparkled like no other.

Embarrassed, Paul felt his cheeks slightly flush. " Ello, luv. " he gently shook her petite hand.

"Hello.I'm sorry if I bothered you, but..." The young woman bit her bottom lip, thinking of the right words to say. "I am a big fan of your work."

Instantly the PR Paul mask came into effect. "Thank you." He replied curtly, finishing off the last of his cigarette. Without uttering another word, Paul vacated the previous spot and retreated up the staircase to one of many rooms.

A pang of hurt ran through her body. Was it something she did or said? Rather than dwelling on it, she clambered upstairs, until she found Paul in Brian's music room-fiddling with a guitar. Hesitating the young woman slowly tiptoed into the room, as to not disturb. " Mr. McCartney?"

Paul let out a sigh. Setting down the borrowed guitar, he began to light up another cigarette. "Didn't ye get the hint?" He asked, sinking back into one of the comfy, red sofas.

"I just wanted to know what the hell I did to make you upset with me and saunter up here?"

Figured he had been a bit harsh with the young woman, he patted the spot next to him. " Sorry, luv. You didn't do anything. I jus thought you were one of them overly-obsessed fans." He took another puff of the ciggie and smiled slightly.

The young woman took this opportunity to tell Paul more about herself. "First off, my name is Alexandra Elizabeth Morgan, but I prefer Allie." She stuck her hand out again for the bassist to shake it.

"James Paul McCartney. Nice to meet you." He gently shook it and smiled at Allie.

Allie told Paul her whole life story- that she was born in Florida and her father was a general stationed a few hours away from London. She finished school in England and became a journalist.

"So that's why I'm here, Paul. I wanted to write about your music and the impact it's having on this generation." Allie smiled proudly.

Before anymore words could be exchanged, the mantle clock chimed 2:00 a.m. "That late already? I have to be going, work in a few hours. Thank you for a lovely evening and for giving me a chance." Allie stood up and yawned, stretching out.

Paul stood along side of her,arm around her petite shoulders. As they walked downstairs, the party had begun to dwindle to a few people here and there.

Grabbing Allie's blue pea coat from the hook, he exchanged telephone numbers with her, so they could continue their little conversation tomorrow evening.

------------

Paul decided to get together with Allie at her place instead. Nosy onlookers and press would hound the poor bassist until kingdom come for such a glimpse into his rock star life!

Disguising himself as a full blown hippie, Paul blended right in with the current London scene. As he approached Allie's apartment, hesitation swept over him. Paul hadn't a clue why he felt a pang of guilt. It's been over two years and Sadie would've wanted him to move on with his life.

Inhaling a deep breath, Paul rang the buzzer and patiently waited until Allie opened the door.

"Hi Paul," She smiled shyly at the bassist. "Won't you come in? " She stepped aside and he shuffled quickly inside the quaint flat.

"There, tha' feels betray. Bloody thing' as been itchin' ever since I put it on me body!" Paul felt relieved, removing the fake long, blond wig and overly- long beard- which made him look like a hobo.

Allie couldn't help but giggle at Paul's griping. 

"Sorry. "

"The price of being a Beatle, I suppose." He winked.

The flush rose in Allie cheeks as her eyes shifted toward the plush carpeting.

After briefly composing herself, she took a seat on a tiny sofa and Paul plopped down next to her. "Tea?" Allie offered and the Beatle nodded yes.

___

Allie finally finished her report. The rest of the the day was spent lounging around Allie's apartment and relaxing in front of the television. The bassist hadn't felt this comfortable around another girl since...SADIE. Allie felt equally as comfortable with Paul. Not Oh my God I'm in the presence of a major rock star. Just an ordinary English gentleman from Liverpool.