chapter twenty-one

A long wrap-around booth was found in a secluded corner of the dimly-lit club. Sadie slid in first, followed by George, Ringo, and then John. Neil and Mal sat at a small table on the other side of the room. They were there in case anybody gave the lads or Sadie a hard time.

A waitress came and took their drink orders. She left for a few moments and returned drinks in hand. They thanked her and she departed, tending to other tables.

Sipping at her red wine, Sadie began to feel relaxed and more at ease. After two more drinks, she wiggled in the booth; trying her best to dance along with the music blasting. Oddly enough, The Beatles version of Twist and Shout came blaring through the speakers. Ringo grabbed Sadie's hand; dragging her onto the dance floor. George and John followed, dancing in the mix.

You Really Got Me by The Kinks and another Beatles tune I Feel Fine played. Sadie took turns dancing with John, George and Ringo. "I'm tired." She added, out of breath as the tune ended. John, who was her latest dancing partner, led Sadie back to the wrap-around booth and ordered another round of drinks.

By this time, another song had come on- a slow tune. John asked her if she wanted to dance, but declined. She was tired and her feet hurt. Turning her head toward the left of the dance floor, the lads found a significant other for the night to dance with (and who knows what else!) Sadie sighed to herself, sliding out of the booth and going outside for some fresh air.

Lighting a cigarette, she inhaled. It felt good, the nicotine. The night air was wonderful, as well. Cool. Crisp. The calming sound of the waves crashing. Beautiful! Standing outside just a few more seconds, she stubbed out the ciggie. Breathing the cool air in deeply, Sadie let it out, walking back inside the club.

The booth was just the way she left it: empty! The lads were still dancing with their partners for the time being. How they can dance so much is beyond me.

The waitress was flagged down for an ice water, as she sat there picking at some peanuts and pretzels.

Once again, another slow tune played over the speakers. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling by The Righteous Brothers. Great! Wallowing in her thoughts, Sadie didn't hear shuffling near the booth. Someone cleared their throat, in order to gain her attention. "Excuse me, Miss?"

Aimlessly stirring the ice water-or what was left of it, Sadie lifted her head to the left. It was dimly-lit, still. Her dark eyes, trying to make out the figure of a gentleman standing on the left. "Paul?"

The figure could now be seen. Sadie was right, it was Paul!

His ever-charming smile shone brightly. "May I have this dance?" He extended a gentle hand and she took it. He led Sadie on to the dance floor and held her ever-so tightly to him.

Her head reeling at the thought of her and Paul...alone! "I thought you were on a date?"

"I was. Jane and I had a little chat. That's why I'm here."He replied, his chin resting gently on Sadie's forehead.

The song had now switched to a faster beat. Paul and Sadie decided to leave and go for a stroll along the beach. They let the rest of the group know what was going on and parted.

"Did you know I was going to be here?" Sadie asked, as they both walked side by side out of the club.

Paul nodded and lit a ciggie for Sadie and himself. "Aye, I did!" He blew a ring of smoke and continued "It was all George's idea, actually."

Taking a drag from her cigarette, she exclaimed, "I knew it! I was fucking wondering what the hell was up with that man! Acted rather peculiar. I thought he was trying to make a pass at me. Two Beatles flirting with me, is enough! Even if I DO only have eyes for one..." She chuckled.

Paul raised an eyebrow." Only 'ave eyes for one, eh? 'O is it then?"

Trying to stifle a snort, "Ringo!"