chapter twenty-five

The next week flew by for Sadie.Jane flew back to London, leaving  more time alone with her beloved Paul.Dinner, watching the sun set, and just enjoying each others company--a few things Paul and Sadie did together. Paul felt at ease with her. He wasn't Beatle Paul. Just James Paul McCartney, lad from Liverpool. The feeling was mutual for Sadie, as well.

While Paul was filming during the day, Sadie lounged on the beach; even-though it was chilly. She received Patsy's letter but decided to phone her in England instead. What's the point of writing when I'll be home in a few days?

***

March tenth finally arrived, much to Sadie and Paul's disappointment. Twelve o'clock sharp The Beatles and their entourage boarded the plane for England. Brian boarded first, followed by Neil and Mal. John, George, Ringo, trudged up the plane steps; finding their seats. Last but not least, Paul and Sadie climbed aboard. The couple found seats near the very back of the plane and sat down.

Paul laced his fingers with Sadie's own. She sighed and he gave a weak smile, pulling her close to him.Now, Sadie's head was gently resting against Paul's chest; his chin on her forehead.

Over the intercom, the pilot began his spiel pertaining to the flight. Sadie did not hear a word the pilot rambled on about. Instead being lulled asleep by the rhythmic beating of Paul's strong heart. She sighed, mumbling something incoherent in her sleep. Paul moved slightly and chuckled to himself. He repositioned himself, snuggling Sadie closer. Comfortable enough, he fell asleep; dreaming of the young woman sitting next to him.

***

7:05 a.m. the plane arrived at the London Airport. The pilot's rather cheery voice boomed over the intercom, scaring everyone out of their wits! "Christ! Why in bloody 'ell is that guy so cheery? It' fuckin' seven o'clock in the mornin'!"John groaned, stretching as he stood up. Obviously referring to the pilot. "Good morning to you too sunshine." Ringo chimed in, giggling at his band-mate. Too tired to start an argument, John flipped Ringo the bird. Ringo ignored his friend and stood up from his current position; stretching his stiff joints.

Everyone did the same---stood up and stretched their legs. Everyone but Paul and Sadie. "Come on, luv. I know you don' want to leave. I don' want to leave either." Paul helped her up from her seat, so they were standing in the isle with the rest of the lot. A look of sadness in Sadie's eyes. "Please don' do this, Sarah." Paul begged, whispering in her ear.Everyone did the same---stood up and stretched their legs. Everyone but Paul and Sadie. "Come on, luv. I know you don' want to leave. I don' want to leave either." Paul helped her up from her seat, so they were standing in the isle with the rest of the lot. A look of sadness in Sadie's eyes. "Please don' do this, Sarah." Paul begged, whispering in her ear. She said nothing for fear tears would cascade down her cheeks.

Paul felt a pang in his heart and a thought entering his mind. He wished he'd never asked Jane Asher, his red-headed girlfriend of almost two years out! Why can't life be so easy? Why couldn't Sarah Livingston appear in my life sooner rather than later?  Back to reality, Paul sighed.

As soon as The Beatles stepped off the aeroplane, all hell broke loose. The hordes of screaming girls greeted their boys.John, Paul, George, and Ringo smiled and waved at their devoted fans.With the protection of the police, everyone managed to get into the waiting limo safely.

"Where are we going?" Sadie asked, locking her door for fear the fans would gouge her eyeballs out.

They all said in unison, "Your house."