chapter twenty-eight

The next nine days were flying by at a snail's pace. March twenty-second needed to be here soon!  Sadie was lonely without Paul to keep her company. No one to laugh with or have a conversation about anything and everything.

Her sister, Patsy, wasn't helping matters, either. Both siblings were still walking on egg-shells around each other. Neither took any initiative to try and resolve the problem over Paul. Patsy would rise early   and get dressed for the modeling jobs, that were lined up for that particular day. The brunette would not reappear until eight or nine at night.

By that time, Sadie was always in her room  on the phone with her beloved Paul ( who called every chance he received).He chatted about  the Alps and how much film they (as a band) wasted, being stoned all-through filming. Also, how no one had experience skiing and how the temperature was.

"Cor, it's bloody freezing 'ere!" Paul exclaimed one night, sipping a mug of hot tea.

"Too bad I wasn't there to keep you warm." Sadie purred in to the phone.

This got Paul riled up. "Oh, luv do I really wish you were righ' now. I really wish..."

"Your wish will come true in two more days." She smiled, looking at the calendar on the wall. The days crossed off in red pen.

A wide grin spread across Paul's handsome features. Sadie couldn't see this, but she knew.

I love yous and good-byes were exchanged between the two.

***

March twenty-second finally arrived! The Beatles would be arriving back to England around eight p.m. that night. Around eight forty-five p.m., Patsy wasn't home from work yet and Sadie was watching something on the telly to pass the time away. Engrossed in the programme, the chime of the door bell jolted Sadie back to reality.  Getting up from the couch, she tied the bathrobe tighter around her waist and opened the front door.

"PAUL!!" The young woman squealed, jumping in to the bass players arms.

"Ello, my love!. I've missed you so much!" Paul exclaimed, holding Sadie tightly; spinning her around.

He put her back in the ground and kissed her with much passion. "I love you!"

"I love you too!" A big smile plastered all over her tanned features.

"You're staying at my place for the night. Go pack a bag."Paul added, waking in to the small flat, out of the cold. Sadie shut the door.

A quizzical look on the young woman's face, "Wait a minute, Paul! What about Jane? Doesn't she live with you? Won't she be around?"

Paul shook his head adamantly. "No, Sade. Jane's off acting in a play for a week. Besides she lives wif 'er parents,mostly. Once in a while, she stays wif me."

Absentmindedly, Sadie began picking her long nails. A habit that only happened when she was apprehensive about something. "I don't think that is a very good idea,Paul. I mean, won't the fans or press get wind of another girl at your house, other than Jane?" She bit her bottom lip.

"No. We'll get you in some way, without either getting wind." The hazel-eyed Beatle reassured with one of those winning smiles.

Smiling weakly, Sadie sighed. "All right. I'll go pack a small bag and leave a note for my sister."

Paul gave Sadie another winning smile.

***

It took only ten minutes to pack some essentials and clothes for tomorrow. Suitcase in hadn; Sadie was all packed and ready to go. "'Ave everythin' you need,Sade?" Paul asked, bidding the young woman of her suitcase.

"Thank you,Paulie." She smiled genially. "Even-though Patsy and me aren't on the best of terms right now, I still don't want her worried."A pen and paper in hand, Sadie scribbled down that she'd be staying the night 'at a friend's house.'  That was that!

Ready to go, she made sure everything was locked up. Linking arms with Paul she was off to spend the night at Paul's home on Cavendish.