Chapter 2

Dr. Felland and I agreed to have a scheduled appointment for two weeks from now. She thought it was important to see me after my transition to the new school. My mother was glad that I didn't fight it and even told my dad that she was so proud of me for admitting that I would enjoy the help.

Little did both of them know that I did the thing in my restroom a little after we got home. I hated myself after, but it had been a long session and I made sure to promise that this was the last time.

"Where's Bill?" asked my dad as he continued to enjoy the take out my mom had brought from the city.

She had worked a shift this morning.

"Still with your mother. She insisted that he stay a few more days. I mentioned that tomorrow was the first day at his new school, but she assured me that he wouldn't be missing much of anything. She went on and on about how he's only six and how he needs to enjoy his childhood."

"How about you, Laurie?" asked my dad and I looked up from my plate, "How are you feeling?"

"Fine. I'm still trying to find a library with a decent set of books," I said and he smiled.

"I'm sure it'll turn up. Have you finished your AP assignments?"

I nodded. "They've been done since the end of July. Small town, fewer expectations."

He let out a loud laugh. "We have jokes now apparently."

I smiled for a brief moment before getting back to being unnoticed.

***

I stared at myself in the mirror. I looked the same as I always had. I wore my dark hair in a long bob. The waves gave it a bit of texture so I didn't have to do much to it ever. My glasses sat too big on my face, but it gave me the desired innocent look. The black frames stood out against my pale skin. I wore a pair of dark high waisted jeans, Will's old Gremlins tee, he wore as if it were the last thing on earth, an oversized mustard cardigan, and my slip-on Vans.

If you were to see me just around you would have never jumped to the conclusion that I did things that most people would consider an unhealthy behavior. I hid it well. I hid it so well that I had gone nearly four years without being discovered. It wasn't till ten months ago, when someone I thought was my friend, decided to tell my parents what they had seen. The marks on my hip and thigh. It was in an odd place. I thought I was for sure never going to be discovered and that I could continue these behaviors until I chose fit.

"Lauren," called my mother on the other side of the door.

Whenever I took too long doing something she seemed to begin to hover.

I sighed, "Come in."

She peeked her head into my room and smiled. "If we leave any later you won't have enough time to find your way around."

"Right," I agreed as I grabbed my backpack and binder.

I followed her out the door and into the car. We drove in a comfortable silence. One we had grown used to since the discovery of my thing occurred. She had insisted several times in our family sessions that she felt like she didn't know me anymore. My dad refused to even go. He made it very clear though that he had lost one child and he refused to lose another especially with the way I excelled.

We pulled up to the school.

"Ready?" she asked.

It looked like my worst nightmare.

"Yeah," I answered as I collected my things from the floor of the car.

"You got everything?" was her next question as I climbed out, "Dr. Felland assured that she would keep her personal on in case you feel the need to relapse. I'll also stay home today. If you ever feel overwhelmed just text me and I'll come get you."