Chapter 17

"So you're still going to date my brother?" asked Tess as she walked into Physics and set her things on the TA desk.

I sighed and set my pencil inside of my book. "I tried, Tess. He wouldn't take no for an answer and it's not like there's any harm right now. He can't come over and I'm stuck hanging out with my guidance counselor during lunch. I made it clear that he could not get involved with my relapses or my recovery. Plus he promised not to have you snooping for him and no more lying."

"And you believe him?" she scoffed, "Lauren, are you that naive?"

"What do you expect me to do?" I asked as my nails dug into my palm again.

"Do the right thing because my brother obviously can't. You may think this is harmless, but my brother tried to hurt himself when he didn't hear from you all break. He was doing great until you came around and spare me the victim discussion."

"I am not a victim," I whispered as I collected my things off of my desk.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"To the nurse. I suddenly don't feel well," I snapped as I made my way over to the sub that sat at the front desk, "I need you to sign this. I have to go to the nurse."

He looked down at Dr. Felland's note that I was to use in case I felt I was a danger to myself. She gave me enough space to leave the classroom six times in between visits. He nodded as he finished reading through the instructions and signed off on the first blank.

"Thank you," I thanked as I took it from him and slammed out of the classroom.

I went straight to the attendance office and over to the window.

"Is the nurse in or Vice Principal Wilson?" I asked as I wiped my face of tears.

"No, sweetie. Unfortunately they're at an IEP. Is there anything I can help with?" asked the woman.

"I need my dad to come get me," I clarified as I handed her the note I had signed by the sub.

She read it over and then fixed her glasses. "I'll get him on the phone and let him know. Just come around and I'll have you sit with me."

I nodded as I tried to relax my anxiety. I looked down at my hand and saw the blood seeping in between my nails. I pushed into the office to see her pulling out my emergency card from the multiple cabinets at the back of the room. She looked over the names on them and began to dial.

"May I use the restroom in the nurse's office?" I asked before she placed the phone in her ear.

"As long as it's not occupied," she smiled concerningly.

I walked into the second room in the back and over to the bathroom. When I attempted to push the door open though it was locked. I sighed and went over to the sink to rinse my hand off. The nurse kept a first aid kit in the bathroom. I didn't know where anything else was in the office. Regardless, she kept everything stored in the cabinet under lock and key.

I took a paper towel out of the dispenser and put pressure on the new wounds. I need to start paying more attention to how much pressure I apply onto my hands when I begin to have anxiety attacks. Bleeding can be used against me. They'll want to have me checked even if I swear on Billy's life I haven't been cutting.

I rested my back against the chair to hear a loud thud coming from the bathroom. I got up and hurried over. I knocked, "Everything okay?"

No response.

"Hello?" I called through the door hoping to get a response, "Do I need to go get someone?"

The lock clicked. I took a step back hoping not to startle whoever was already there. They pulled the door open a crack and to my surprise Theo stepped out.

"Theo, what are you doing in there?" I asked as I looked over my shoulder to make sure the attendance clerk wasn't coming in.

"Nothing," he lied as he looked down at my hand, "What happened to your hand?"

"I didn't realize how hard I was clenching it, but I heard a loud thud. What was going on in there before I knocked?"

"Lauren, let it go. Let me take a look at your hand," he insisted as he reached for it.

I stepped away and shook my head no. "My dad's coming to get me already. He's probably on his way. I had the attendance clerk call because the nurse wasn't available. Now are you going to tell me what's going on and why there's thumping or am I going to leave knowing you're lying again?"

"Oh my god, Theo. Stop being so melodramatic and tell her," said a voice from the other side.

He slammed his fist against the door.

They pulled the door open on the other side and stepped out.

I recognized the girl, but only because it's a small town and our high school population is equivalent to zero. I had seen her spending time with Tess now and again, but nothing to peak an interest in getting to know who she was.

"I don't necessarily need to be told anything. I just need to get into the restroom," I whispered as I pressed a little harder on my hand that I was nursing until now.

"We were in the middle of a makeout session before you interrupted. It's nice when you're the nurse's student aide. It gives you plenty of quiet time especially during IEP meetings," she announced matter of factly.

"Well can you get away from the door so I can use it? Or am I just going to leave you two here and go down the hall?" I asked as I continued to enjoy the burning sensation in my hand.

"Lauren, it's not like that," whispered Theo.

I scoffed at his comment.

Before I could say anything though I heard the door to the attendance office open and close. "Ren!"

It was my dad.

"I'll be right there!" I yelled from the nurse's office.

"Goodbye, Emo Girl," mocked the girl as she placed her hand on Theo's bicep.

He shoved her off. He was fuming.

"Bye," I replied coldly as I stepped away from the scene.

If I hadn't known any better this felt worse than trying to break up with him this morning. I mean he could have let all of this happen and this wouldn't have bothered me as much as it is right now.

My dad stood there tall. I would have described him as a superhero in this moment. His hands were in the pockets of his jean jacket and there was still what looked like paint in his hair. He smiled sadly to see me and I smiled the same smile back. I joined him on the opposite side of the desk. He put his arm around my shoulders and kissed the side of my head.

"What happened to your hand?" he asked.

I shrugged. "I was getting anxious and I didn't notice that my nails were digging into my palm."

"Thank you, ma'am. I'll take her home for the day," he told the attendance clerk.

"Readmit slip for the morning," she explained as she set it on the counter, "Have your fifth through seventh sign it before bringing it back."

"Thanks," I thanked as I picked it up.

"Feel better, darling," she insisted.

If only it were that simple.