Chapter 10

I had been avoiding both, Henry and Theo, all week. I was going to go spend the weekend with my grandmother. I was excited to just get away. I was going to be back in New York for a day and a half, and it's something I desperately needed. I just needed to make it through the next twenty minutes then I would be home free.

I was avoiding Henry because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. He had taken the time out of his day to spend time with me, and I felt like I owed him at least chance, but I didn't want to give him one. I just wasn't interested dating or being his girlfriend.

Then there was this whole thing with Theo. I couldn't get the kiss we shared out of my head. He was obviously smart and caring, but he had his own share of skeletons in the closet. I don't think I was even ready to confront mine, let alone be there when someone has to deal with their own.

The bell went off signaling we were free for the weekend. I was the first out of class and I began making my way to the front of the school. I was nearly there till someone pulled me into a hallway. I had nearly tripped, but they caught me in time.

"Hi," announced Theo as I looked over to see him holding my arm.

"Theo, can we talk later? My dad's waiting to take me to the train station so I can go see my grandma," I said as he let me go once he was sure I would keep my balance.

"You've been asking if we could talk later since Tuesday morning. I think this works as later," he replied as he checked his phone.

"I know and I'm sorry, but I've been super busy all week," I lied and he chuckled.

"I get that you got a new book, but all I need is fifteen minutes of your time," he joked as he pulled me closer to him.

He placed his hands on my hips and kissed me.

This time I kissed him back. We shared several more before I pulled away and he smiled down at me.

"See not even fifteen," he said brushing my hair back from my face.

"Theo, I have to go," I insisted as I looked around hoping no one saw us.

He pinched my chin gently, "He left home early if you're looking for Henry."

"What?" I asked and he raised a curious eyebrow at me, "I'll see you Monday, okay?"

"Can I call you later?" he questioned ignoring my question.

"Fine," I agreed and he laughed.

"Stop being angry with me."

"I'm not angry. I'm confused and anxious," I clarified and he shook his head no.

"You're angry," he insisted.

I frowned. "Fine. I'm angry. I'm angry because I need to go and you're not letting me."

"I can make it worth your wild," he teased as he took the hand holding my chin and tucked it under my jaw.

"Bye Theo," I emphasized as I took his hand and placed it at his side, "I'll see you Monday."

"See you Monday," he agreed as I walked away.

***

The weekend came and went. It felt like it was too soon that I was back in the small town I've learned to call home. My grandmother insisted she drive me home, Monday morning because she hadn't wanted me taking the train late Sunday night. My parents seemed okay with me missing a day as long as I was caught up with all of my work. I had decided to nap this afternoon off because my grandma insisted on taking me clothes shopping before my trip home and shopping with that woman was asking to run a marathon.