Chapter 16

I didn't go back to school after the appointment. My parents decided that I would be staying with my grandma till the new year, and thankfully my teachers were all very understanding of the sudden absences. They sent my finals and assignments for me to complete, which my dad picked up at the end of the week to drop off at school.

It was nice spending time with my grandma. She never tried to understand why all of this was happening with me. She focused more on how she could distract me from the horrors my mom liked to bring up on occasions when she came to take me to Dr. Felland's for my appointment.

All nice things had to come to an end though. School started again after this weekend. I was going back to live with my parents and Billy. I knew my mom was going to freak when she came to get me. I had decided to completely change my hair and go for a long bob look. My blood red nails would be something she would have a fit about too. She hated the color and she always assumed it represented my mood.

I had decided to completely detox myself from everyone. I didn't get back to Theo or Tess at all since the day the big episode happened. I even got a message from Dexter at some point in my trip. I guess my grandma had mentioned to his mom that I was staying with her and he mentioned he wanted to visit. I never got back to him though. I wasn't ready to revisit memory lane with him or receive the look of pity I always manage to get from anyone who knew my situation. I sat in the family room waiting to see my mom's car drive up. My dad had taken my things back Friday night when he came to visit. He always made time to come see me at least once a week to continue our ritual. He appreciated the hair cut. He said change was good.

***

"Bye dad," I said, closing the door of his SUV.

We had all agreed that it was best my dad brought me back to school. My mother was completely in disagreement, but my dad insisted that he needed to do this to feel like I was okay. I waved as he drove off and then made my way to my locker. I turned my combination into the lock, but as soon as I pulled it open quite a few envelopes fell onto the floor.

"What in the world?" I questioned as I got onto my knees to pick them up. I set my bag on the ground when I realized that these envelopes were addressed to me in Theo's handwriting.

I looked over my shoulder and around before opening the first envelope up.

"I'm so sorry, Lauren," he had written on a small piece of blank paper. I flipped it over hoping it said more, but that was it.

I opened the one behind it, "I miss you. I wish you would answer one of our text messages. It would be nice to just know you're okay."

I stood up and opened the third one. "I almost relapsed last night. Tess caught me though. She's angry. Lauren, just answer your phone, please."

That's when someone cleared their throat behind me. I turned around immediately to see Tess.

"You're back," she pointed out with disdain in her voice.

I nodded. "Yeah. My parents had me go on break early."

"Well you and them made quite a scene the day you disappeared. All anyone could talk about for days."

I felt sick to my stomach. I hadn't realized that we had an audience.

"I figured," I lied as I placed the letters into my locker. I pulled out my Literature anthology and shut it.

She chuckled in disbelief. "Did they seriously move you into general English?"

"I asked to be moved. I get it. Believe me, Tess. I feel the same way," I replied.