Chapter 13

"Whose motorcycle is in our driveway?" hollered my dad from downstairs.

"Theo's, Lauren's friend!" shouted my mom from the kitchen.

"Where are they?" was his next question with a hint of concern.

"Up in her room studying," I heard my mom reply as we sat on separate sides of the room with our books in our lap.

"So much for this being a quiet place," laughed Theo as he looked up from his book.

"I'm surprised my dad's home," I said as I heard heavy boots come up the stairs. I peeked over from the opening of my door and he opened my door, "Hi, dad."

"Hey, Ren. This your friend?" he asked pointing towards Theo and Theo stood up.

"Theo," he introduced holding his hand out for my dad to shake.

"Ken Blaise," he replied shaking his hand and Theo nodded.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Mr. Blaise," commented Theo and my dad looked over at me.

"I'm assuming you've been by more than once?" he questioned.

Theo shrugged weakly. "I mean enough to know who Billy is and that your wife and daughter enjoy my company."

"Ren, can I talk to you outside for a minute?" asked my dad.

"Yeah, dad," I agreed as he waited for me to step out. He held up his index finger politely towards Theo as he shut the door behind me.

"My room. Now," he ordered.

I sighed knowing this was not going to go well. We walked in and he shut the door to make sure no one could overhear our conversation.

"What happened to let me know when there was the vaguest interest?" he asked as I took a seat on their bed.

"Dad, please don't make this a big deal. Mom's not," I pointed out.

He folded his arms across his chest. He always looked a lot bigger than he actually was when he did that. "Well are you guys?"

"Well are you guys what?" I asked and he frowned.

"Are you guys sexually active?" he made clear.

Why? Why? Why?

"No, dad. We just started dating. He's my English teacher's son and we share a first-hour class together. We started talking because he was teasing me about my serial killer book. He has a twin sister who I'm friends with also. Anything else you would like to know?"

"If this boy tries anything at all under our roof I will know, Lauren Presley. Make that clear to him," he said.

Apparently not if Theo's gotten Billy to sneak him in for twenty dollars.

I rolled my eyes, "Is that all?"

"I want that bedroom door open, young lady," he ordered as I got up and left the room.

"Okay!" I replied as I walked back into my own.

Theo was now sitting at the desk and I shook my head in disbelief.

"Did Ren get the sex talk again?" he teased as he spun around a couple of times.

"No, but I do have a kind set of words from my dad for you," I said as I took a seat on my bed.

"Britt!" yelled my dad as he walked across my room and down the stairs.

I'm sure my mom was going to hear it too.