Chapter 12

I woke up this morning feeling better than I had in weeks. It had snowed just the tiniest bit last night, which meant I was only a few days away from winter break. I felt so good in fact, that I decided to wake up a bit earlier to straighten my hair and do my makeup. It had been too long since I wore a wing or even mascara. I pulled on a black knitted long sleeve, followed by a pair of burgundy jeans, and my ankle boots with enough heel to make me feel a bit taller. I slid into my parka before pulling on my scarf, and then made my way downstairs to see my mom waiting for me in the kitchen.

"Good morning," I said as I set my bag on the table.

"Morning," she replied a little surprised at the fact that I was ready so early, "You're awfully happy this morning."

"I am," I agreed with a laugh. I walked over to the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of water.

"Not that I'm not excited to see you acting so cheerful, but are you on some sort of drug?" she asked.

"No. No. No," I clarified, "It's just a few more days and then I can enjoy winter break. I'm excited to go see grandma for the holidays. Plus it snowed a little last night."

"Right," she realized and I nodded.

She reviewed my outfit and then smiled.

"You also look presentable," she complimented and I shrugged, "I've grown used to seeing you in oversized clothing and sneakers that I forgot I had a daughter who grew up in New York."

"Enjoy it now then," I teased and she shook her head amused as she collected her purse.

"Let's head out then. Your dad will be picking you up this afternoon because I have to work a full round at the clinic," she made clear as I followed her out of the kitchen.

We drove to school enjoying a bit of chit-chat and about going Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving because we didn't want to have to deal with crowds. She dropped me off twenty minutes early and I decided to find a bench near my first hour. I pulled out my newest book with my newest interest written throughout the pages. Fred and Rose West have become my most recent discovery and they've definitely become my number one duo killers.

"Lauren?"

I looked up to see Henry standing in front of me.

"Hey Henry," I replied closing my book.

"You look different," he commented as he continued to review my entire person.

"That's because I actually got ready today," I confirmed.

If I hadn't known any better I would have sworn he was holding his breath. He wiped his hand down his cheeks and then looked over his shoulder.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah. You just look wow."

"Thank you?" I laughed not knowing how to respond to his broken sentence.

"So why haven't you called or texted me back?" he replied.

I sighed. "Henry, you're a good guy, but I just don't think it's going to work out between us. Believe me, if I had a choice I would have loved to, but there's just not much there other than friendship."

His expression went blank.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

Snap.

"No. It's okay. You're entitled to that. We hung out once and I mean it's okay," he assured as he took a deep breath, "I'm going to go. I'll see you in sixth."