Chapter 24

I woke up to the annoying sound of my alarm and an empty spot next to me in bed. He must have made his way into Billy's room sometime this morning. I ran my hand through my still slightly damp hair. Last night had been a whirlwind of events.

First, I had officially lost my virginity to the last person on earth I thought I would lose it to. Second, Theo openly admitted and blamed me for the high he was on. Third, I was now stuck between boys who are now aware of each other. Today was going to be horrible. I could already feel it.

I got out of bed and found the laziest thing I could put together. I pulled on a pair of black skinny jeans, a white wool sweater, and an oversized jean jacket that I'm pretty sure belonged to my mom at one point in the '90s. I brushed my teeth all while trying to make my hair look presentable with my free hand. It wasn't easy getting ready when all you anticipated was tension in the downstairs room. I did a nearly bare face, mascara and chapstick would have to do for today. I found my glasses and backpack before running down the stairs in search of my Chuck Taylors.

"Good morning and goodbye," chimed Billy as my mom helped him get into his coat.

"There's some eggs made and you know where the cereal is. Billy needs to be at school early for an awards ceremony. Your dad will be home this afternoon. Dexter offered to take you to school," my mom instructed as she grabbed her car keys and purse from the hall closet.

I nodded as she kissed me on the side of the head and shooed Billy out the door.

Lovely.

I reopened the hall closet and pulled out my Chuck Taylors. It was probably thirty degrees outside, but I truly did not care. I felt like I was suddenly burning in hell. I had them on in seconds, but then came the task of facing two boys at the same time. Why my anxiety hadn't kicked in yet, I don't know.

I pushed through the kitchen door to see them both sitting on opposite sides of the breakfast nook. When the door swung closed both of their eyes were on me.

Ah. There it is.

"Morning," I greeted as I went straight to the refrigerator. If I hid behind something I was safe enough.

"I offered to take you to school today, I hope that's okay," announced Dexter as he looked up from his iPad.

I nodded. "Fine. My dad's picking me up though. My mom just informed me that he's back this afternoon."

"I'll be in Stamford for the night. I have a few friends waiting for me to join them for a quick visit before they head back up to NYC," he said.

I looked over to see Theo practically hunched over his coffee. He must be suffering from a really bad hangover.

"Are you going to be okay, Theo? I can always call Tess to come get you," I insisted as I grabbed the tupperware of prepared fruit out of the refrigerator. I shut the door and sat between them at the table.

"Fine," he assured as he sat up straight, "I just don't want to interrupt your guys' little love fest."

I rolled my eyes at his response.

"I'm going to head to school. Thank your mom for me," he announced as he got up and set his mug in the sink.

I waved weakly and watched him show himself out.

"Are we going to talk about the elephant in the room?" asked Dexter after a few moments of silence.

"What elephant?" I replied.

"The one where you still watch the other guy endearingly even though he's a complete mess," he answered bluntly.

I sighed. "What do you want to talk about, Dex?"