Chapter 25

I sat in my usual spot after school. I figured my dad would be late due to all of the traffic trying to get back after the road closure. I pulled out my Literature anthology and decided to get started on the poetry unit we had been assigned this morning.

I hated being in traditional English. The teacher had no passion for what she taught plus we were always doing work out of the book. I turned the pages aimlessly hoping to find some comfort in distraction but nothing worked. I just couldn't shake the feeling of guilt that had harbored inside for the past six hours. It wasn't making me anxious. It wasn't upsetting. It was the oddest feeling I've ever felt.

"So I heard you had a rough night," announced a distant voice.

I looked over my shoulder to see Tess standing a few feet away. She walked over and took a seat on the bench opposite of me.

"Theo's home. My mom made sure to take him. She didn't want him riding in the weather we've been having. Are you okay?" she asked.

I shrugged weakly. "It's weird. He was really angry last night and my mom was understanding, but now she sees a whole new person. He's not just Theo anymore. Then Dexter is acting all awkward about it. I mean we were supposed to end up together. That was what was always expected. I don't know. I'm just super tired and I cannot wait to be home for the weekend."

"Theo mentioned that you had admitted to doing it with him," she emphasized the it.

I chuckled. "Wow. He can't keep anything to himself."

"I'm his twin. It comes with the territory," she tried to joke.

"We did, but now everything is going to shit. Dexter thinks I'm hung up on Theo and Theo is now permanently scarred knowing that I slept with Dex. I don't even really know how I'm feeling exactly. I'm upset. I'm anxious. I'm tired. I'm even angry. Everything has become so overwhelming that it's suddenly gone completely numb. Numb to the point where I don't even think pain makes a difference right now."

"Is he coming to get you again today?" she asked trying to change the conversation.

"No," I answered shortly as I pulled my legs up onto the bench to sit cross legged.

She sighed weakly. "Are you still hung up on Theo?"

"What?" I laughed as I played with my pen.

"Do you still have feelings for my brother?" she rephrased the question.

I shrugged again. "I think that's kind of obvious. I mean we didn't date long, but he was still my first boyfriend. He was one of the only people who knew about my situation at the time. Plus I considered you a friend so I guess it was normal for me? I seem to always draw in brothers, but that has proven to be a horrible quality."

She snorted out a laugh. "A yes or no would have worked, Lauren."

"Either way, I can't go back to seeing Theo. He and I did not mix well. We were nothing but toxic when together. I'm trying to do the right thing, but he's making it really hard. I'm comfortable with Dex. Dex tries to protect me and sometimes that can be annoying, but he's doing the best he can."

"Yeah," she agreed, "I feel the same about Henry. I was obsessed for so long that I didn't realize the person he's always been. He made some comments about my mom and brother that I didn't appreciate."

"I'm sorry, Tess," I now felt guilty about being a horrible friend. It had been all about me the past few weeks that she's literally been swept under the carpet.

She chuckled. "It's fine. I'll probably meet someone in college and we'll end up being together for the rest of our lives."

I could barely get myself to think about tomorrow. I was not ready to imagine the rest of my life.