Chapter 15

"Where the fuck have you been, Lauren Presley!" shouted my mother as I came up to the attendance office window at school.

It's actually been awhile since I heard my mom talk like that.

"Your father is on his way. You had us worried sick," she scolded.

"I had to do something. I'm sorry," I apologized as I tucked a curl behind my ear.

"You had to do something!"

"Mom, please. Can I just go to class?" I asked.

"No! No, you cannot! You are coming with me and we are going to go see Dr. Felland because apparently you had something to do besides attend your classes like you're supposed to," she replied as the lady in attendance handed her a slip.

"I don't need to see Dr. Felland today. I saw her a few days ago. I said I was sorry. I lost track of time. I was supposed to be back before the second hour. I just needed some time away from everything."

"Where were you then?" she asked point blank.

"I went to go visit Theo, okay? He's been sick so he's been home. I wanted to check on him this morning but I slept in and again I'm sorry," I explained trying to avoid any major details that might freak her out.

She wiped her hand down her face. "You're definitely grounded, young lady, and I will be telling your father about this. We're also going to have to reevaluate this relationship with this boy. I was okay with you having a friend, but friends don't let friends do this kind of stuff."

"Jesus Christ, mom. This is why I don't share things with you. You make a huge, ridiculous thing about everything. If I do normal teenage stuff, I'm doing it wrong. If I'm not then there's definitely something wrong. No wonder Will killed himself," I snapped.

I quickly covered my mouth with both hands.

Had I really just said that?

She was now staring at me blankly.

"Ren?" I heard my dad ask behind me.

I shook my head no in disbelief.

"Britt, what did you say?" asked my dad automatically assuming she had said something out of place again.

"You do not know anything, Lauren Presley. Your brother was already very sick. Even before he left. I made the mistake in letting him make decisions for himself and I will be damned if I lose another child to this," she snapped back.

"UGH! FUCK YOU!" I yelled and now my dad was staring at me blankly. "FUCK YOU FOR PRETENDING HE WAS NEVER PART OF OUR FAMILY! FUCK YOU FOR ASSUMING I HURT MYSELF BECAUSE OF HIM! FUCK YOU FOR NOT LEAVING ME ALONE AND FOR TRYING TO MAKE ME THE VICTIM!"

"Ren, kiddo, relax," insisted my dad.

My mother was in tears.

"No! No! No! I am tired of this all! I don't care if others know! I am sick, but I'm also fine. I have some weird disease that cannot be cured and I've accepted that I'm going to battle with it my entire life. I do not need to be micromanaged though. I do not need my mommy to take care of me and assume that I do this out of spite. I do it because it makes me feel good. It gives me some control because that is something I lacked my entire life."

"Lauren, that is enough!" shouted my dad.

He hadn't yelled at me in nearly a year.

"What do you mean you do it?" asked my mother.

I folded my arms in front of my chest.

"Lauren, answer your mother's question," ordered my dad.