Chapter 18

"We have about two hours before your mom, the nurse, gets home. You want to explain to me what induced this?" he asked as we pulled up in front of the house.

"I broke up with Theo today," I said. I mean I was only half lying. It was a start.

"Oh," he commented, "Should I ask why or is that a mom thing to ask?"

"Because even though I liked him, I don't think it was going to work out. We had a lot of things we needed to deal with separately. Plus it looks like over break he found someone to keep busy with. I don't know her name, but I ran into her today and she seems just like his type," I chuckled as I tried to hold back tears.

"Well if we're being out in the open, I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of you dating him. He seemed off. He just rubbed me the wrong way," he stated.

I smiled amusingly at his comment. "Thanks, dad."

"I know you liked him, Ren. Sometimes though liking someone isn't all cupcakes and rainbows."

"I'm not seven, dad. I know," I assured him as we shared a quick glance.

"Let's get some peroxide on that hand and wrap it up before mom comes home and decides you aren't ready to go back to school," he insisted.

I nodded in agreement and hopped out of the SUV. I joined him as he waited for me at the foot of the walk up. He shoved me playfully and I laughed.

I think that's the first time he's done that since finding out about my thing. My mom had always made a big deal about how maybe the bullying and teasing he started caused me to be the way I am. Little did she know this was probably the thing I looked forward to most when it came to my dad. It was his way of showing he cared.

"How does that vegan pizza place sound for lunch? I'm starved. I was going to take a bite out of the burger Frank brought me, but then I got a call from the school and I dropped everything to come as soon as I could."

"Sounds great, dad," I agreed as he allowed me into the house. I turned around and watched him close the door behind him, "And thanks for not making this a whole deal. I already feel really shitty about what has happened on my first day back."

"You're welcome," he said with a perplexed smile. I'm sure he was wondering whether to take it as a positive or negative sign. I don't tend to thank them for much, especially as of late.

***

We got my hand cleaned up, and then we went to lunch. It was nice to have some quality time. I lacked a lot of it especially with spending so much time in New York over the break. He went into the garage to finish a home project for my mom while I got started on some homework I had for the English class I was now taking.

I sat at my desk and pulled out the writing packet we had received. I opened my laptop to play music, but before I could even get a password in my phone buzzed. I pulled it out from my bag to see that it was Dexter. Again.

"Heard you went back. Didn't miss the city enough to stay around a little longer?" it said.

I bit my lip hesitantly. Naomi would be all over it if she found out I actually gave her brother the time of day over her. I mean we ran to each other and held a simple conversation, but since then he's put in quite a bit of effort to send me messages over the past couple of weeks.

"Miss the city, but miss my family more. You've made it nearly impossible to ignore your messages. You have patience to continuously send texts."

I hit send and set my phone down. I still didn't get the opportunity to get set up because it lit up in a matter of seconds.