Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen:: The Hybrid
S3E2

We are walking through the Smoky Mountains. Stefan is carrying an unconscious Ray on his shoulders. I look over at Stefan and ask, "You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" he looks at me and says, "I'm fine." with a small smile. "You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down..." Klaus says with a smirk. Stefan sighs and says, "You know, I'm fine with Ali worrying about me and I get that we're, uh...we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great." "So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend." Klaus says to him. "Maybe it's 'cause we're all a little tired of hunting werewolves. We've been at it all summer." I say as I walk ahead of them. "Thanks to our pal Ray, we found ourselves a pack. There." Klaus says. We stop. We found the pack's camp. Stefan enters their camp. Everyone looks at him. He puts Ray on the ground. A woman rushes over to him. "Ray! Oh, my God. What's going on? Who are you?" the woman asks Stefan. Klaus joins Stefan. "The important question is who am I. Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus." he says. "You're the hybrid." she says. He smiles and says, "You've heard of me. Fantastic."

Klaus, Stefan, and I are sitting. Everyone is standing still, looking at Klaus and listening. "It's fascinating, actually...A werewolf who isn't beholden to the moon, a vampire who doesn't burn in the sun. A true hybrid." Klaus says. I roll my eyes at his bragging. Ray wakes up. "Excellent timing, Ray. Very dramatic." Klaus says. "What's happening to me?" Ray asks. "Natalia?" Klaus looks to me. I stand up and say, "Are any of you human? Your friend here needs human blood to complete his transition to vampire. If he doesn't get it, he will die." "Doesn't take much, just a sip. Anyone? A boyfriend, a girlfriend, along for the ride?" Klaus says. He turns to a man. "You!" he says. He rushes over to him and bites his forearm. Stefan grabs him, throws him on the ground in front of Ray. The woman protests but Klaus strangles her. "If you don't drink it, Ray, he will." I say pointing at Stefan, "Problem is he doesn't know how to stop." I tell him. Klaus looks at the girl. "It's the new order, sweetheart. You join us, or you die." Klaus tells her. "I'd rather die than be a vampire." she snaps at him. He smirks and says, "Wrong choice." He gives her his blood. Ray drinks the blood from the man in fronting him. "She'll thank me for that later." Klaus says. He twists her head and kills her. "Okay, who's next?" he asks. His eyes are yellow and his fangs are out.

Klaus gives his blood to the human and compels him. "There. Good as new. Now you relax, okay, mate? We're gonna need you when the rest of them wake up." Klaus says. Ray is sitting on a rock nearby, grabbing his body and shivering. I walk over to him and sit beside as I start to rub his back. "They're dead. They're all dead." he says. "Ah, he's through his transition. He should be feeling better soon." Klaus says. "So is this your master plan? Build an army of hybrid slaves?" I ask him. He turns to me and says, "No, not slaves. Soldiers, comrades." "For what war, might I ask?" Stefan asks. "Oh, you don't arm yourself after war has been declared, Stefan. You build your army so big that no one ever dares pick a fight." Klaus says as he looks at Stefan. "What makes you so sure that they'll be loyal?" Stefan asks him. "Well, it's not difficult to be loyal when you're on the winning team. That's something you'll learn once you shake that horribly depressive chip off your shoulder." he tells Stefan. Stefan laughs. "That's why you're, uh...you're keeping me around? To witness my attitude adjustment?" Klaus looks at Ray, sits on the other side of him, and examines his face. Ray's eyes are bleeding. "You'll know why I'm keeping you around when I've decided that I want you to know." he says. "Something's wrong." I say as I look at Ray. "That shouldn't be happening, should it?" Stefan asks. "Well, obviously." Klaus says. Ray is shaking and his eyes are still bleeding. "You said it was gonna feel better. Why doesn't it feel better?" Ray asks. "Some master race." I mumble. "Lose the attitude." Klaus tells me. The woman wakes up. "Derek, come feed your girlfriend." Klaus tells him. He gets up. Ray snarls and makes a few jumps and leaves. Klaus looks at Stefan. "Go get him." Stefan looks at me and I nod. Stefan walks toward us. He looks at me and mouthes 'listen' I listen closely. I hear Damon, Elena, and Alaric. Those idiots are going to get themselves killed. "Where did he go?" Klaus asks him. "He, uh...he got away. Forget him. Let's go." Stefan says. Klaus looks at Stefan's arm and grabs it. "A fatal werewolf bite. Ouch." Klaus says. I look up at Stefan. "Steffy..." I start but he shakes his head at me. "Yeah. I'm gonna need your blood to heal me." Stefan says. "Well, I tell you what. You find Ray, and then I'll heal you." Klaus tells him. I look up at him in shock. "Can't be serious." Stefan says. "You better hurry, 'cause that bite looks nasty." Klaus says. Klaus goes back to the campsite. "I'll make sure you get his blood, Steffy. I won't almost lose you like we almost did with Damon. I promise." I tell him. He nods and goes to find Ray. I watch him walk away. I head back to the campsite and see the others are waking up. All of their eyes are bleeding.

"We need to talk, Nik." I say to him. He turns to me. "What is it, love?" he asks me as he walks closer to me. "Why did you do that? Stefan could die." "He'll be fine, sweetheart. He's a smart man." he says then plants a kiss on my forehead and walks away. "Maybe." I whisper then follow him.

It's nighttime at the camp and a campfire is burning. Klaus is with Derek. "Bad news, my friend. End of the road for you." he says. He bites into Derek then looks to me. "Hungry, sweetheart?" he asks me. I shake my head and say, "No thanks." He shrugs and drains Derek dry. "Careful, love. There's only one Alpha here." Klaus says to the woman in front of him. I stand up and go to stay beside him. All the werewolves are staggering around the camp, their eyes bleeding. They look like zombies. "Bloody hell." he says and pulls me into his side.

I wipe my hand on one of the werewolves shirts. Sometimes pulling out hearts can be fun. Stefan approaches us with a dead Ray on his shoulders. He throws him on the ground. "They went rabid. Some of them, we killed. The others just...Bled out. In the end...They're all dead." Klaus says. He yells and throws the bottle of beer in his hand. He screams at the sky. "I did everything I was told!" regaining his composure, "I should be able to turn them. I broke the curse. I killed a werewolf. I killed a vampire. I killed the doppelgänger." he says. Stefan stands there uncomfortably and I carefully place my hand on Klaus's arm. He looks at it, but doesn't move it. He turns to Stefan and says, "You look like hell." "Last I checked I'm dying...and you don't want to heal me." Stefan says. Klaus looks down at Ray's body. "I had to take him out. I didn't have a choice. I failed you. I'm sorry. Do what you have to do." Stefan tells him. "It should have worked." Klaus says. I move my hand down to his and squeeze it. He let's go of my hand. He turns around and takes an empty bottle of beer. He bites his hand, makes a fist, puts the blood draining from it in the bottle and holds the bottle out to Stefan. "Bottoms up. We're leaving." Stefan takes the bottle. "It appears you're the only comrades I have left." Klaus says and grabs my hand. He pulls me away from Stefan and towards the car. He opens the car door for me. He holds my hand for a while longer until I smile, let go, and get in. He smiles back and closes the door.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN OVER! OKAY. LETS GO. SIEMPRE, BECCA💋