Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three:: Homecoming
S3E9

Stefan is calling Klaus, so I listen to there conversation.

"Portland is fantastic. Once you get over all the whiny music and healthy looking people, it is literally a breeding ground for werewolves." Klaus says. "Your father is dead." Stefan stares. "What did you say to me?" Klaus says, anger evident in his voice. "Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father and not dead. Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?" Stefan asks. "Well, first I want you to explain to me exactly what happened." Klaus demands.

1 HOUR EARLIER

"Aye, let's say that Mikael followed Elena in here. He tried to grab her, so he could use her as bait." Stefan suggests. "And you what? Vervained him?" Elena asks. "No, we vervained him! This guy is an Original. To make it realistic." Damon says. "Okay, fine. We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger." Stefan says. "Which he planned to use on Rebekah, but instead..." I starts. "We drove it through his heart." Stefan finishes. "And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?" Elena asks. "Good point! You my brother have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So the idea is to lure him back here and kill him...last thing we need is you getting tripped up and tongue-tied." Damon tells Stefan. "Well, don't look at me. I am just in charge of getting him back here." Stefan says. "Klaus is smart. If we tell him that Mikael is dead, he'll want proof." I say. "Then I shall be dead." Mikael says. "What if he wants to see you in person?" Elena asks. "Well that means our plan is working. Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him." Mikael says. "With what? Those daggers won't work on him." Stefan says. "Well, I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree. The one that left these ashes when it burned." Mikael tells us. "Where is it?" I ask. Mikael is dipping a dagger in the ashes of the white oak tree. "Not here. The knowing of its location is my insurance policy." Mikael says. "Against what?" I ask. "You leaving this in my heart. You see, a vampire can't dagger an original without dying. So...it falls to you."  Mikael hands over the dagger to Elena. "Y...You want me to actually dagger you?" Elena asks him unsure of the decision. "Klaus will leave nothing to chance- especially when it comes to trust."

PRESENT TIME

"I wanna see him. I want to see his rotting body for myself." I hear Klaus say. "Well, he is here. Come by whenever." Stefan tells him. "If you are lying to me Stefan, your compulsion will expose you. So, answer with your life: Is what you are saying the truth?" Klaus asks him. "It's true. I saw it with my own eyes." Stefan tells him. "I wanna talk to Rebekah." Klaus says. "That's not a problem. She is right here." Stefan says and hands Rebekah the phone. They start to talk and I catch the last part. "Good. I'll see you then, brother." She hangs up the phone and turns to us. "He bought it. He's coming home." she tells us. "Now- was that easy or what?" Damon asks. "Let's just get this over with." I say. We watch as Elena pulls the dagger out of Mikael's chest.

Later that day I walk into Rebekah's room. "Getting a head start already?" I ask. "Embarrassing truth? This is my first high school dance." she says. I laugh and sit on her bed. "Ever?" I ask her. Elena walks into the room. "I never really had time for high school before. Nik and I were always moving around, running. Anyway- I didn't want to leave anything to chance. Have you heard anymore from him?" she asks. "No. But I'm sure that when he does return he'll do it with flair." Elena says as my phone starts to ring. "I'll be back." I say and walk to my room across the hall. I close the door and look at my phone. It's Klaus. Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

(N&K for phone convo)

K: Hello, love. Want to be my homecoming date?
N: Wow. Nice way to start a conversation.
K: That isn't an answer, sweetheart.
N: I might not go.
K: I know you're going.
N: How about I save you a dance?
K: Good enough. Is Mikael actually dead? I know I've asked two times before.
N: He is. I promise.
K: Wonderful. I shall see you tonight, Natalia.
N: Of course. See you then. (I hang up)