Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter Thirty-Three:: Before Sunset
S3E21

I meet Rebekah at the door of the school. "Hey Bekah." I say as I approach her. "Hello Talia. How was the dance?" she asks me as we walk in. "Could have been better. At least my outfit looked good." I say as I place my arm around her shoulder. "I hate that I had to miss it. Did Nik go?" she asks. "Yeah, he did. I'm sorry about your mom, Bex." I say. "Please, don't be. I suppose she deserved it." she says as we enter the cafeteria. "Alright! Let's get started!" she says and hands me a trash can. I laugh as I start to pick up trash.

"Where's Matt?" Caroline asks us as she walks into the room. "He bailed. Got called into work at the last minute." I say. "Are you kidding me? So, it's just us?" she asks. "Yes, and you're late. Clean up committee started at eight o'clock." Rebekah says. "It's like 8:02." Caroline says. "Exactly. I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organized." Rebekah walks past Caroline and empties out the trash. "I'm sorry about your mom. I mean I know you like, hated her and everything, but still...I'm sorry." Caroline says after a short silence. "I'm sorry about your teacher. He seemed like a nice guy." Rebekah says. "Yeah. He was." Caroline says and I nod. "I'm gonna get started on the gym. Come on, Talia." Rebekah says and pulls me with her. We walk out into the hallway and I see a shadow. Rebekah and I freeze, with wide eyes, as Alaric rounds the corner. "You're supposed to be dead." Rebekah exclaims. "I am!" Ric says. Rebekah rushes at Alaric, but Alaric throws her against the locker. He's about to stab her with the white oak stake when I rush over and pin him against the lockers. "Caroline!" I yell and she flashes into the hallway. Rebekah picks up the white oak stake and stabs Alaric with it. The three of us look at each other as he takes it out. In seconds we all flash out of the school.

Rebekah and I walk into Klaus's mansion after getting attacked by Ric.

"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill us." Rebekah says and Klaus turns to us. He looks at me then back to Rebekah and says, "Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead." "Well, he's not and he's a vampire thanks to your mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's strong, Nik. Too strong." I say as I lean against the door frame. "Where is he now?" he asks. "He's stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls he'll come after you two. You guys need to leave now." I say. "Fine. Natalia you're coming too and I'll collect Elena, we'll be on our way." he says and I roll my eyes. "Forget Elena! You don't need any more stupid hybrids!" Rebekah yells at him. "What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us." he tells her. "We'll protect each other, like we always have. Always and forever, Nik." she says. "I'm not leaving without her." he says. "I'm leaving now. You can either walk out that door with me or you are on your own." she tells him.
Klaus looks at her, but says nothing. "Fine. Trust your hybrids over your family. Let your spite be the death of you, see if I care." Rebekah says and walks out of the room, walking into Tyler on the way out. "Move it, sire boy!" she yells at him. Once she's gone Tyler asks, "What's her deal?" Klaus stares at him and Tyler continues on into the room. I look at Klaus and walk closer to him. "What the hell was that?!" I ask him. "She made her choice. Let her be." he says and goes back to packing. I grab his hand and say, "Nik, she is your family! You need each other, but you stand here and let her walk away instead of joining her because of some stupid ass hybrids!" I yell at him. "No need for an attitude, love." he says harshly and steps closer to me. "You know what, Klaus, you're nothing but a heartless bastard who cares only about himself." I snap at him as I push him away. "I care about more than just myself." he says and walks closer. "Who? Your hybrids? You and your hybrids can rot in hell." I say and push him away again. In seconds he has me against the wall. "You! Natalia, I care about you!" he yells at me. His face softens and releases his grip some. "I'll always care about you." he whispers as he places a piece of my hair behind my ear. I stand there, shocked. He looks at me for a moment then places a kiss on my forehead and walks away. "Come, love. We're going to get Elena." he says as he walks out the room. I roll my eyes, but follow him.