A Rose's Snare (Hunger Games Fan-Fic)

I wake up in the morning next to mom. My face is pressed against her check and her arm is wrapped around me. I quietly lift her arm off me and get out of bed.

A light meow draws my attention. Buttercup sits at the edge of the bed staring at me. I smile and pick up the large yellow cat and take him over to the table where I give him a small bowl of milk.

I notice the wooden bowl sitting on the table. I smile as I realize that Katniss took my goat cheese I left for her. I look over at our bed and see that the blanket is in a ball and the bed is empty. She must’ve left at sunrise.

I get some of the stale bread and chew on a piece while I shut the window shutters to block out some of the blinding sunlight.

I turn around to see Mom pulling out some clothes. She sets a white blouse and skirt on the bed. Then she sets a long dark green dress next to it. And lastly she lays out a soft light blue dress on the bed.

Mom pulls out three pairs of flats and lies then with each set of clothes.

I walk up and pick up the white blouse and skirt.

Mom smiles slightly. “Get dressed.”

I nodd and get into the large clothes. I remember that this was Katniss’s first reaping clothes. I frown as I tuck the blouse into the skirt. But the blouse is too big for me so it untucks itself in the back a few times.

I give up and settle down at the table and wait for my sister. She should be back any second to get dressed for the Reaping.

Mom stands behind me as I sit in a chair. Her hands tug at my light brown hair into a series of complicated braids that let the ends of my hair cascade around my shoulders.

Mom pats my hair before getting dressed herself. Finally we sit down and wait for Katniss.

But after an hour she doesn’t show up. Mom gets out some bread and milk so we can eat.

Katniss still hasn’t arrived and I start to worry when I see the time. Mom grimaces when we are forced to leave by a peacekeeper at one.

The square is full of children and judging by the why people look at us; we are the last ones getting to the square. I sign the attendance form and head to the back of the large group of kids.

As I walk to where the 12 years olds are roped off, I look up at where Katniss should be. But I still don’t see her.

I feel my chest tighten as the worst thoughts enter my head. What happened to Katniss? Did she get hurt? Could she be dead? Was she caught? What happened to my sister?

My thoughts are interrupted as the mayor tells the story of Panem. I tune out not caring about the history lesson. I already know why we have the Hunger Games and about the rebellion.

After a while Haymitch stumbles onto the stage and falls into his chair. Some kids around me laugh but I know it’s not something to laugh at. Haymitch is a known drunk and I personally have had to help mom drag him home when he was brought to us in his drunkard state.

But Effie Trinket’s appearance quiets the crowd. She talks a little and starts to walk over to the girl’s ball. I turn my attention elsewhere.

 What if Katniss is drawn? She isn’t even here so what would happen? And what about Gale? He would be crushed. And what happened to them?

“Primrose Everdeen.”

My train of thought is put to a complete halt when I hear my name. I look around to see who is calling but a peace keeper grabs my arm. I look up to see Daruis frowning as he pulls me away from my spot.