Chapter 10 - Flying Lesson

Chapter 10

After that day, Y/N's morning consisted with the muttering of gossips. The event of Harry revealing himself as Parseltongue had him being a suspect of being the Heir of Salazar Slytherin and was the one to open the Chamber of Secrets and was the one to petrified Mrs. Norris. It had been bad for the boy-who-lived, being in the center of attention for defeating Voldermort was one thing, and now he's being accused as the Heir of you-know-who, Y/N knew the boy felt worse now. Not that she knew it from experience but she felt empathy.

Nathan had kept his distance much closer, likely following Y/N in every time he can. Not that it was weird and new, Y/N appreciates that he was still here with her despite being in the other house but it was starting to feel unusual in some way. Nathan seems to be keeping an eye of her more often. But that Y/N welcomed. She needed her friend close and so she return the favor, making sure nothing would harm him somehow.

Y/N had been teasing him then more often, about Katie Bell nontransparent affection to him. The boy would only laugh, though with a blush, and simply dismisses it. It obvious Nathan wasn't likely to return it but sometimes, Y/N would see them together in the hall, at the Gryffindor's table and such and think that the boy can be so blind. Katie Bell is beautiful, Y/N can admit and she admire that Katie was so brave to confront the one she's fancying without shying away.

Now on lunch, with Mia on her side and Ella coming late, Y/N was laughing along with her Hufflepuff friends when the empty seat that's likely older Nelson's space was occupied by the blond boy with a tired look.

"Nate?" frown Y/N and the Hufflepuff crew's conversation stopped as the Gryffindor groaned. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah," breathes out Nathan as he sat with his should slump, "just... really confuse and all."

"Wanna talk about it?" Y/N offered as she reaches out for the boy's hand. The distress of the boy was likely radiating from him.

Nathan nods, appreciating Y/N's consideration, "But not here, though, maybe somewhere private?"

The library was the only place Y/N could think of. And so, excusing themselves, and hand-in-hand, they left the Great Hall and approach their destination in silent. When secured in the deepest part of the library where student rarely go, Y/N had first offered the boy a smile before asking "What's wrong?" and squeezes his hand for assurance.

Like that was needed, the boy knew the girl wouldn't dare judges him.

"It's Katie Bell," Nathan started, "I... not that I don't appreciate her or something, I even feel quite honored a girl like her had taken interest in me! B-but like..."

"She's not your type." complete Y/N when the boy couldn't find a word to say.

"Yeah, something like that I guess." Nathan's posture becomes slump again when he leans into the cushion with a tired sigh. "I like her, but like a friend, an acquaintance. She taught me things all about Quidditch, even recommended me to Oliver Wood, the Quidditch Captain in Gryffindor if you didn't know... and she would sometimes offer to help me with my assignments –" Y/N gave a pointed look upon hearing that. "–which I declined, I promise." backup Nathan, though he wasn't lying... well, maybe a little. He was really bad at Potion and Transfiguration.

"Then why won't you just tell her you're not interested?"

"That's the thing... I told her today, just this morning." confessed Nathan, looking quite grim. "She looked so... shaken when I told her and its making me guilty." He placed both of his palms to his face as he let out a heavy sigh. "And not only that but... something in her eyes just glint and she left me without a word. She must have cried but I never meant to make her feel that way, I was telling the truth!"