Chapter 24 - Merry Christmas

Chapter 24

It was a myth, one of the stories that her mother used to read to her in bed time. Like the one about a lonely, lost baby fox looking for his family. Y/N remembers that tale said that the fox looked up to the sky one night, wishing to find its brothers and sisters and be reunited with them once again just as how he longed it, but the stars that the fox was watching was no stars at all but instead a fire-orb that multiplied and had lead the fox to its merry way into the dark night.

Y/N couldn't really remember how it ends. Maybe the fox did find his family or maybe not.

Of course, she believed that such orb were simply nonexistent, just a folktale that ancient ones told to their children to prevent them from going far from their sight. But, perhaps, it's not at all as it seems. For Y/N –who grow up to be told that magic are nothing but fiction but is now a witch with a wand –is now following the said myth.

Daxellion said that the land was the most ancients, found way before the Arthurian days had raged. The grass were forever to dance, the trees non-stopping its waves, while the sky ever as red as it was before. It was either a blessing or a curse.

Y/N thought that they may have cross a new dimension for such fact cannot ever co-exist to her knowledge about Earth. But hey, everything can be done with magic. I mean, the sky is red after all, much to her horror.

Now, let's go back to that said myth.

There were so many version of it, many names to call it. In Norway, they call it as a Hessdalen light but she preferred to call it as Will-o'-the-wisp like her mother, Lilith does. Those orbs had been told to lead travelers astray forever.

But this Will-o'-the-wisp –or, as Daxellion had explained, their 'ancestors' souls –that they are trailing were kind enough to actually show them the right path that would lead them to their destination. Somewhere her grandparents wait for their arrival.

And it doesn't stop there. Get this, the land is –surprise, surprise –ALIVE! Well, not actually a breathing being but... Y/N reckons that Dax meant that it has a conscious of its own. It would shift its mountains flat or summon fueled heat to burst holes in its field; change trails and locations of what lays in its realm and roots of its trees and plants, whether to let its life wither away or have it bloom into finesse.

It has judgment on its own, Dax explained.

It didn't really shock Y/N that much –or, if she would be honest, it's taking her a while to progress everything right now that she can't react all at once. What's real though is that she's freaking out for pits sake! She hasn't even accept the full fact that she's a witch that can apparently levitate a gigantic bolder with a flick of her wand if she wish!

But, of course, Daxellion was too focused on the Will-o'-the-wisp and his own thundering thoughts to even look over his shoulder to check if Y/N hadn't lost her mind –which she feel as what truly is going on.

It's been hours –to Y/N that is, or maybe it truly is hours passed, she wasn't so sure. It's really hard to know the time of the day now that they are lacking sun or moon to measure time with –since she had wake in such surreal surrounding, her clothes wet, and they have been ascending into this dome mountain for so long that it's making her undone with irritation.

Also, did she mention that it's raining? Again, they may be in another dimension because it shouldn't be raining, it is supposed to be winter in France in December if you're not aware. Or maybe, they're just outside the country. 'Argh, all this thinking is going to make my head explode!'

Then finally, oh thank Merlin's beard, they arrived at the top. But instead of the palace that Daxellion had promised, the wisp had led them to a hole in the open field though. It looked like a piece of the land had been scoped. 'Oh God, the legend are true! Those orbs are a curse!' She silent whined, slamming both of her palms into her face to release some tension.