Chapter 41 - Death's Trade

Chapter 41

She remembers the first time she ever witness death.

She just young as she can be in the age of 6 and a half when her grandmother holds her, swaying them both by the rocking chair. They were by the balcony back then. Olympia was merely hushing her cries and giving sweet comfort only because YN's dear Mr. Mewl the Snake died. Y/N didn't understand why that it had to happen but it was when her eyes had been open to more possibilities about life.

The second time of course, was when her grandparents died in a car crush (or was it really by that accident? It was a question now that lingering in the back of her mind these days) while on their vacation, just when she was seven. She didn't cry, her mother's begging words lingering in the back of her mind. It was then she truly saw the full form of Death.

Not the dead bodies on the coffins but the one hovering in the corner of her eyes. She only caught sight of it far away, hiding despite Y/N still being able to see them. Actually, at first, seeing that everybody around them were only wearing dark clothes that dimmed everything more, little Y/N thought it was just somebody else, maybe a friend of her grandparents that was too shy to join the mourning crowd but the more she stares, the more she realize that this foreign figure was no human.

Alfonso tends to speak of it at some time after Y/N asked why Mr. Mewl the Snake had to go to heaven. He would tell a tale the angel of death, tales of many that he says that speaks the truth. That they are to lead people into their afterlife, where they'll join their loved ones in an open field and run forever.

But that was no angel, not the one with halo and white wings and smiles that will melt your heart as Y/N had envision them to be, but it was instead a figure of dark cloak and dark skin, no face, so skinny, and, a possibility that their feet were not touching the ground.

Y/N watched it with blank stares, unable to express her own self, as her weeping mother was being comforted both by Lilith and Daxellion, and her cousin Dane was merely looking down with misty eyes, too focused on her own grief to notice anyone else. The figure just simply stood over there before gliding towards the lifeless body of her grandparents, two golden lights following them.

Alfonso once said that despite human beings feared for such end, Death was kind. And when those two orbs had circled around her mother and uncle, and for them to rest on Y/N's shoulder after as the bodies were to be buried 6 feet underneath, Y/N can feel both Olympia and Alfonso's finale touch before Death summoned such gorgeously pair of dark wings and flew away, the two blinking lights following soon after.

Y/N didn't mind the rain that comes afterwards nor did she join the others when they decided that it was time to go, that this will be when they have to let go. And by this occurrence and minding the weird ones now, Y/N knew she wasn't truly normal. His voice mocking her in by back of her mind, Y/N believed it to be true. And deep in heart, Y/N wonders when she will see that angel again.

And as if the Gods, whoever bastards ups there that was making fun of her life, had heard this thought, it was only just a year after she seen it –them again.

She met Nathan Colt the first Monday of October, the fall season had bloom a classical beauty in London, especially in this side of the town; he was just a transferred student and they were just in 3rd grade. He had everyone's attention the moment he steps in the room.

Usually, Y/N would sit in the front, wanting to hear her teachers loud and clear (because whatever may happen, education was important prospect of life, Megan and her grandparents would constantly remind her of it) and that she had a quicker chance of getting out before she could get caught, but that specific date had been the worse.