T H I R T Y N I N E + E P I L O G U E

After another week of staying in that hospital bed, I was free to go home. I left the hospital only once during this time: for Grayson's funeral.

It was horrible, of course. His whole family came. I missed his little cousins, but I wished I could've seen them in other circumstances.

Today is Monday, and I have to go back to high school. My hand is still bandaged, and I can't write, so I'm going there only to sit and listen.

But it's better than staying at home, because all I could think of was Grayson, and I'm gonna lose my mind if I'm gonna think about him one more minute.

I walk downstairs and, with my sister's help, I tie my shoes. Ethan is gonna take us to school until I can use my hand again. Which means, never. I'm not sure that I'm gonna be able to even write ever again.

All three of us are wearing black. And only black. And our families too.

When we arrive at high school and we walk in the hallways, everyone stays quiet. I hear a few whispers and a few people point to us like we were some animals from Circus.

"Could you stop? Yes, he is dead. Yes, I almost died too. Now, stop talking about us." I snapped and yelled in the middle of the hallway.

"Kat, calm down." Ethan wraps his hand around me and I sigh.

"I'll try."

We stop at his locker. Jake, Nate, Jack and Aaron stop next to us. They are wearing black too.

"How are you handling all of this, Katherine?" Jake asked me.

"Well, I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff and about to jump." I sarcastically answered and fake smiled.

"Sorry for asking."

"Let's go!"

Chelsea grabs my arm and drags me away from there. Ethan stays with his friends.

"I have Biology with them now, why did you drag me away from there?" I asked her.

"I'll take you to your class."

"Chels, I'm not a baby. I can take care of myself."

"I know, but you just got out of hospital and... You're not going to your therapist." she whispered and I rolled my eyes.

"That's because I am completely fine. Believe me." I smiled, assuring her.

^^^

I have two hours of English now.

I sit in my usual spot and Ethan is right behind me. The desk on my left is empty. His desk...

As I was talking to Ethan, a boy tries to sit next to me.

"What do you think you're doing?" I asked him, almost shouting.

"Just sitting."

"You can't sit there. Go somewhere else."

"Why? This is empty, so why shouldn't I?"

"Man, just go somewhere else," Ethan said in a deep voice.

"What's the matter with you two? I can sit wherever I want."

"IT WAS GRAYSON'S SEAT YOU ASSHOLE AND HE DIED. I SAID GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

I shouted, standing up. The boy froze, looking at me. I bet that the veins from my forehead and neck are popping, and my face is all red from anger.