2

Two

The moment I woke up, the realisation immediately set in. Letting a random man stay at my house, who suspiciously was being held against his will in an abandoned building. That was odd. The fact that he refused to contact the police should have been a big enough warning for me to walk away.

A giant red flag that I should've seen.

But low behold I refused to recognise that as a warning for my own safety. On the other hand I am waking up in my own bedroom. With complete clarity of last night's events.

I made it up in my mind that I get ready, brush my teeth, wash my face and get changed before facing the cruel reality of what I did last night. I was also slightly on edge about Becca coming home, and noticing the man in our house.

Once I was ready I sneaked out of my room, listening in. Hearing the sound of water running made me relieved that he was awake and I didn't have the awkwardness of waking him up.

I decided on making some breakfast. I had work this afternoon and I just know that it was going to be a busy night at the club and finding the time to stop and eat was going to be extremely hard. I started making one of the healthy smoothies that my dad has taught me. Him being a fitness coach and Gym owner, he would always try and force me to eat and drink healthier.

I pushed back a lot of times but he was very adamant and most likely wanted me to be the perfect tester for his new recipe's. My mother, on the other hand, spends her time tutoring students online. They were both lucky in the aspect that they could easily work from home using the advanced technology.

Both of my parents decided to go travelling, after years of staying home and making sure that they could afford my education. They saw no reason in staying when they could easily work whilst travelling. I supported their decision, knowing that I wanted to take care of myself and be independent.

Not having my parents constant control gave me the breathing space I needed, and that every child desired.

Opening my fridge, I pulled out everything I needed for a relatively healthy breakfast that my father would most likely just hum in acknowledgement for.

I started to cook everything and let the news play in the background. I enjoyed listening to what was happening in the world and because I didn't have a lot of time it was easier than having to read the news on my phone. Shannon was one of my best friends. I grew up with her until we separated after high school. She's a news journalist and I often had to keep up to date with the news because that's all she ever talked about.

I was busy cracking the eggs into the pan when I felt eyes on me. Turning, I saw Zach leaning on my kitchen wall, staring at me. Almost as if he hadn't any shame.

"Slept well?" I asked Zach, trying not to feel too intimidated by the look he was giving me. I can't remember the last time I hosted a guy in my home. Not since my ex boyfriend 2 years ago.

Zach started nodding his head. " Very well, that's quite a guest bed you have in that room" He brought his hand to the back of his neck, pressing his fingers into his skin.

" It's the same in every room" I stated.

Zach nods again but his eyes jump to the left of me. Spinning around I quickly switched the heat off and opened a window. Seeing all the smoke coming from under the pan. I stared at the smoke that filled my counter. Thinking, Great, but at least it's not burnt.

I managed to plate up two plates and set them on the breakfast counter. Zach thanked me for the food. And we ate in peace barely managing simple small talk.

When he was finished I told him I would clean up. He did offer to, but I declined as he is the guest, how could I make him wash up.

Zach eventually disappeared into the room again as finished clearing up. I breathed a sigh of relief when it was all finally done and clean. I sat down and scrolled through my phone checking Instagram and twitter just like I do every morning.