13 - The Guevarras

Althea

"Can we stay at Lolo's house during weekends and in the attic on weekdays?" paalam ko kay Jade while we're on our way to Lolo's house.

"Sure Love, why?"

"I asked a friend to make some changes in our bedroom so we can put the mini home theatre." I answered and she suddenly got excited.

"Really?! Thought you forgot about it." she said like a child.

"I made a promise remember? Sorry just got busy. The interior designer wants to talk to us, you in particular."

"Why?"

"So you can tell her what you want to do in our room."

"Her?"

"Yes. Her. Their company is one our partners for the interior designs of town houses  and resorts." I explained.

"Ok." she plainly said.

"Don't be jealous, Mahal. I
might be the one who would be, just in case." I said and she looked at me. "She has a girlfriend but they're on and off because she's a womanizer." I said shaking my head.

"Don't tell me she didn't try to court you?" she asked curiously.

"Well, she tried. But sorry. And we had a strict rule of no flirting with the boss and business partners." I explained.

"Good. That's why you're secretary is silently flirting with you." sagot niya at natawa ako.

"Do you really find her like a virus, Mahal?" referring to the name she changed in my phone book. She didn't answer and closed her eyes now pretending to sleep. Hay Jade.

- - -

"Dito muna kami during weekends, Lo. Habang pinagagawa ko po ang bedroom namin." paalam ko kay Lolo.

"Talaga? pinagagawa niyo na? Para sa mga magiging apo ko?" excited na sabi ni Lolo. Jade and I were both speechless, that idea didn't cross my mind. "O bakit may nasabi ba akong mali?" Lolo worriedly said.

"No, Lo. Ahm, we...ahm. Hindi pa po kasi namin napag usapan ang tungkol sa baby." I honestly said. Most of the time ako ang umiiwas, I'm just too afraid, I guess.

"Bakit naman?" he asked.

"Gusto pa po naming ma enjoy ni Jade ang buhay mag asawa." sabi ko na lang and Jade just simply smiled and nod in agreement.

"Aba, eh huwag niyo ng patagalin naiinip na ako." Lolo said and again we both fell silent. Actually, Jade tried to open the topic about having a baby not only once but i never took it seriously. I think Jade felt that that's why she never tried to talk about it again. I wanted to have my own but the fear of not being a good parent always strikes me. I'm afraid I couldn't be a responsible parent knowing I don't have a good relationship with my parents. Especially now that they knew about my marriage with Jade, I expect for a worsening conflict. It's more than a week now but I never returned Mom's call. I don't know what to say and I don't want to argue with them.

"Althea?" tawag ni Lolo sa akin.
"'May problema ba?"

"Wala po, Lo. May iniisip lang po."
I answered.

"Kung anuman yan, hindi mo kailangan sarilin. Andito ako at ang asawa mo." he said and look at the both of us.

- -  -

"Something's bothering you, Althea. I can sense it." Jade said after we're left alone at the veranda. "You've been silent for the past week now. I want to think that it's all about work, but something's telling me it's more than that."