17 - The Mothers

Jade

"Jade!" I heard from behind us. When I looked around I saw a model clad in a sophisticated dress even in this very ordinary day. I consciously pictured myself at the moment wearing a simple summer dress, not wearing any make up except a lipstick which Althea likes. She wanted me more in simple get up, which she always remind me that whatever I wear, I carry it all confidently. That's how she sees me, but that's not how I see myself, especially now that I have kids. "Hey! Something on my face?" I heard Kara said, I didn't notice that she's now standing in front of me.

"Oh Hi Kara..." I greeted her. "Sorry, just thinking of something." I apologized. We're at the mall again with my kids and Sally.

"So, is that a good or bad sign of having your own family?" she asked and can't find words to answer her.

"Oh, just because her wife is always thinking of her that's why she's not of herself, you know they can't help but thinking each other when they're apart." Sally answered saving my back.

"Hmmm, who wouldn't. Having Althea for a wife or partner one would be so lucky. She's a complete package." Kara commented looking at me from head down. "Bet a lot of ladies waiting to be her mistress are spying on her." dagdag niya, tinasaan ko siya ng kilay.

"Hanggang aligid lang sila, Kara. The way Althea loves my Bestie, ni tingnan sila hindi niya magagawa, nganga lang mga haliparot na yon." depensa ni Sally sa akin.

"Don't be so sure darling..." Baling sa kanya ni Kara. "You're not the wife."

"I'm sure." I interrupted. "I am the wife." I said staring her straight.

"Sorry, Jade. Just kidding. Got to go." she defensively said and walked away.

"Don't listen to her. She's just portraying her best role of her life. Bi.tch." Sally said grinning.

"She's always been like that."

"Yeah. She's always been that Bi.tch."

"Hey careful...JJ might hear you." I warned as I look down the stroller and saw JJ staring right at us emotionless with Ali on the other stroller sleeping soundly.

"See?! even JJ agrees with me. You agree with me, yes?" Sally said extending her hand to JJ but she just received a straight face from my serious baby. "Hay naku, mukha ka ng matanda." patol ni Sally sa anak ko. Natawa na lang ako. I looked back at Kara who's now about to disappear from my sight. "Bestie you're far more beautiful than her. Beauty is not just how people look at you, it's how they see what's inside you. And you have that all, so don't feel insecure or anything.

"I'm not." depensa ko.

"I know you so much, Best. Can't lie to me." she smilingly said. I didn't say a word anymore. "Let's eat?"

"I'm still full." sagot ko.

"Not again, Jade. Please." she pleaded.

- - -

Althea

"Hello, Mama? How's everything at home?" tanong ko pagsagot ko ng tawag ni Mama Amanda.

"Hello, Anak? Sorry if I disturb you during your office hours...I mean...I don't know..."

"Is there something wrong, Mama?" I asked worried. "The kids?"

"Oh they're fine, Althea. They're bubbly and playful as always. Madaldal kahit hindi maintindihan." Mama assured me and I can feel her smile at the other line. But I know something is wrong.

"Ano pong problema, Mama?"

"It's about Jade..." she answered

"Why Mama, what happened to Jade?" I asked worried again. "Is she sick?" Gulat kong sagot, kung babalikan ko ay maayos naman si Jade kaninang umaga.