C H A P T E R 11

C H A P T E R
E L E V E N

Sitting across from one of his new clients, Derek watched as the young boy played with his hands. It had been two weeks of this, just straight silence but Derek knew once he could get him to speak and open up he could really help him.

The boy was a young high schooler who was raised by his grandparents, and soon sent to foster homes once they got too ill to watch after him and his siblings. A few of his teachers and his foster parents noticed his change in behavior which was him ditching school and acting out in classes and they knew he needed a little guidance to get him back in order because they knew he was better than that..he just couldn't see it.

Tapping his pen against his tablet, Derek let out a small chuckle catching the boys attention. "How long are we gonna keep this up? This sitting in silence like mice, we all have a voice and I would like to hear yours."

Sighing, he finally made eye contact. "I don't know what to say," He mumbled.

"Start off by telling me something about yourself .. you play sports? Got any goals or dreams you want to achieve? You can say anything."

Scratching his head, he smiled a little at the thought of football. "I want to play football, I've always loved that sport."

"Why don't you play?"

He shrugged, "I'm not good enough, plus our team is already good enough I'll just embarrass myself."

"Have you ever tried out for the team? Or at least tried to see if you were good at the sport?"

Looking down at his shoes, he laughed. "...No, but its not that I don't want too its just that I'm scared that they'll laugh at me .. I used to play football with my grandpa all the time, and we used to talk about how once I got older he would help me try out for the team and get me ready but its like once he got so sick its like the dream became stupid and it wasn't fun anymore .. I don't know, its just different."

Derek smiled liking that he was opening up to him, "I'm sure your grandpa would love for you to try out and when you go visit him and your grandma at the nursing home you can tell them all about it and I'm sure they would be so proud."

"Well the season is almost over so I have to wait til this summer to try out but how do I get ready? I'm sure I know a little bit about football but I really want to go in at least knowing the basics and just get better over time.."

"A good friend of mine actually coaches a little league football team, but the guy is an amazing coach. I'm sure him and his other coaches could help you out. You just have to show them that you're serious about it and since you're older he will be tougher on you but its only to get you better."

The boy nodded, "Whens their next game? I'll introduce myself and tell him you recommended him to me."

"I believe their next game is this Saturday, but I'm not sure where at. I'll let you know when I find out though."

"Okay thank you,"

"This is really good Travis, I would have never known you liked football and thats the goal each meeting I want to learn something new about you. Your family and teachers just want you to do better and they believe you can. You're a good kid, you just lost your way but I'm here to help you find that path again long as you let me."