C H A P T E R 26

C H A P T E R
T W E N T Y - S I X

          When the sound of the school bell went off, Marquette and the rest of the young kids took off out the school doors ready for their spring break to start.

In search of his mama or Ahmad's cars, he frowned when he didn't see it and then he really frowned when he realized he was spending this spring break at his dads this year.

A place where he used to love going, became a place he grew to hate. Taking a seat on the steps, he rested his head in his hands. Feeling a presence beside him, he looked up to see Blessing.

"Where's ya mama?" She asked quietly.

"I'm with my dad this week."

Blessing took a seat beside him, she knew he hated going over there because of the things his Aunt Melissa did to him. She wanted to tell her dad about what was happening, but she made a promise to Marquette that she wouldn't say anything so he wouldn't get in trouble.

But she hated seeing her friend like this.

They sat in silence, and when Marquette saw her car pull up, he tensed up as he slowly stood up.

Saying bye to Blessing, he slowly walked over to her car and got in the backseat. "How was school pumpkin'?" She asked him, but Marquette ignored her just ready to get home.

Looking back, Melissa gave him a look. "You don't hear me talking to you? You must like me putting my hands on you!" She snapped pulling off.

"It-It was good,"

She waved him off, "Nah, ion care now. Just wait til we get back to this house."

Sitting back in his seat, he looked out the window letting his tears of fear fall, wishing he could tell someone about this.

Sitting in the bleachers with Rakim and Meech, Winter watched Travis out on the field during his tryouts. They all came out to show support since they knew making the team really meant a lot to Travis. It was pouring down rain but they didn't care, they had their umbrellas and were there to support their friend.

They wouldn't have missed this even if was a whole tornado storm going on. They knew after everything he had been through this was something that held a lot of value, and whatever he liked they loved and would support him until the end.

"He's doing really good, Ahmad sure does know how to train." Winter commented and they all nodded agreeing as they watched him sprint down the field and catch the ball from the quaterback and take off towards the endzone.

Despite it being wet on the field, Travis was running as if it was dry. But that all came with him practicing with Ahmad in the rain. Most of the guys were slipping and falling but Travis worked on a technique Ahmad showed him so that his cleats wouldn't slide as much and as hard on the turf.

The best quality Travis had was his speed and determination. When he walked on the field a few of the guys assumed he would suck like most of the other guys who were trying to try out.

But they were all caught off guard when he showed that he could play both defense and offense, and was outshining them which had the coaches were all over him.