Prologue

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

Prologue Don't Blink

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

          Sometimes, life throws situations at us that we're not necessarily ready to handle. 

          One minute everything's fine.

          And then, you blink.

          Blinking is an involuntary act that our body does to keep the eye lubricated every second of every day. Or, at least that's what I got out of ninth grade biology. Blinking, in a physical way, is extremely important. Without it, our eyes would simply dry up.  Blinking in every other way, though, could be the kiss of death. Suddenly, everything has the ability to change. Because in reality, life only needs a few seconds to throw something new your way. Sometimes, those things could be for the better. Like you're in class, you blink, and suddenly you were partnered with your long time crush.

          But unfortunately for me, it wasn't that simple. When I blinked, my entire world was turned inside out. Everything I had ever come to believe was a lie. The world was not as black and white as it seemed. Mythical creatures of the night were in fact real. They no longer stayed within the realm of cheap horror flicks and scary stories. They were capable of existing right along the rest of the world, even if the majority didn't know it.

          Blinking for some people is a good thing — for some. For Stiles Stilinski, Scott McCall and I ... well, it wasn't exactly a picture perfect occurrence.

          I think it would be safe to say I used to have a normal life — we all did. Winter break was ending and I had just been excited of to get the rest of sophomore year out of the way. Stiles, Scott, and I would do it together, just like we had from day one. This was supposed to be our year.

          To be honest, before that last night of break, I never really worried about anything. I'd go to school, annoy my two favorite guys, and pray that one of them didn't somehow manage to land the all of us in one of his dad's cells at the police station.

          But, I had never expected anything like this to happen. If someone had told me beforehand that all this would happen, I'd label them as a basket case. At first, it seemed all too impossible. There was no rational explanation for why Scott became what he did. There was no rational explanation for the appearance of the supernatural. There was no rational answer for anything. This was something akin to the plots of Stiles's favorite lame ass old horror movies. We lived in the real world where things like this didn't happen. But I quickly learned that this real world wasn't as real as I had thought.

          Somehow, everything I knew was slowly beginning to fall apart. Everything was not what it seemed and the three of us were forced to be constantly on our guard. And because of this onslaught of danger, the people I love could potentially get into harm's way.

          We all could.

          And it all started that cold and rainy night, the last night of winter vacation, when Stiles dragged us out to the woods to go dead body hunting.

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀