xix. AND IT WAS LIKE MAGIC

CHAPTER NINETEENAND IT WAS LIKE MAGIC

CHAPTER NINETEEN
AND IT WAS LIKE MAGIC

  As much as I was beginning to fall for Stiles, I still was able to question his judgment. Especially when he shows up at my house in the middle of the night with Scott. The last time this happened, Scott was bit by a werewolf. I went anyways, under Stiles threats of dragging me out of my house.

  I spent the whole car ride confused as to where we were going. From the sounds of it, Scott was as well. I was praying the whole time that he wasn't going to take us to the woods like he did that horrible night. And you know where he drove us?

  The woods.

  I clambered out of the backseat, following Scott who was following Stiles. We walked through the woods, over tree roots and dead leaves that were littering the forest floor.

  If there was anyone who wanted to be here even less than I did, it was Scott. He walked somberly beside us, hands stuffed in his pockets. He kept his head down, curls falling into his face. I was guessing the break up was hitting him hard. I didn't know why Allison had dumped him. It didn't make any sense. I had explicitly told her, he had gone out there so he could get her out of there. That night at the school, everything he did was for her. He didn't have to say it either; you just knew. He was head over heels for and she broke his heart.

  "Where are we going?" I moaned as we headed past a little shed thing. We weren't deep in the forest, mainly near the area where visitors come.

  "We're almost there," Stiles told me. "Stop being impatient."

  I rolled my eyes.

  "I really shouldn't be out here," Scott chimed in, speaking for the first time since we had left the car. "My mom has been in a constant state of freak out since that night at the school."

  "Well, you mom isn't the sheriff. There's no comparison. Trust me," Stiles promised.

  I shrugged. "At least your parents care that you almost died. All I got was a voicemail telling me not to be reckless again."

  Both boys looked at me briefly, sad looks in their eyes. Stiles cleared his throat and changed the subject.

  "Alright. So when one of your best friends gets dumped—"

  "I didn't get dumped!" Scott yelled at him. "We're taking a break."

  "Alright, well when your best friend gets told by his girlfriend that they're taking a break," Stiles began, stopping and whirling around to face us. He lifted a bottle of Jack Daniels in the air with a triumphant smirk. "You get your best friend drunk."