Chapter 2

^
Staffordshire University: Hanna's university (main building).

                     °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

"I need an order of Macchiato with an extra helping of milk foam, Pam." I called into the kitchen before resting my notepad on the counter.

Pam brimmed at me, her grey spiky hair contained by the hairnet. She was in charge of all the waitresses, including myself and was one of the only people who were nice to me here, with the exception of Sue.

She nodded in understanding and I muttered a small thanks before turning to attend to another table.

"You forgetting something, honey?" I turned around at the sound of Sue's voice to see her dangling my notepad between her thumb and index finger. She edged forward, a motherly smile on her face as she stopped in front of me. I smiled sheepishly before jutting my hand out to claim the small item.

Instead of handing it to me, Sue wrapped her hand around my arm before hauling us both to the side. Asking another waitress to attend to the table I was headed to, she turned to me, her eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"What is going on with you, Hanna? You're in a world of your own today?" She questioned quietly to which I tutted.

I moved slightly away and looked down before explaining.

"Richard came home around 12 yesterday. I had to cook what he wanted and wash the dishes as well. I ended up sleeping at around 3." I explained, a yawn escaping my mouth at the mere thought of sleep.

Sue raised an over-plucked eyebrow at this, folding her arms slowly. I bit my lip when I knew what she was going to say.

"When you say 'sleep at 3', do you mean you actually slept or is 3 when you entered dreamland, eh?" She joked, but the concern was evident, in her tone. Being a mom of a 20 year old herself, her motherly instincts came intact, when it came to me.

I smiled at the thought. Having Sue around, meant I'd never felt the obvious absence of a motherly figure in my life. She had always been there, whether it was to reprimand my wrong behaviour or praise me for my right. Rarely, had I spared a thought about who my biological mother was, with Sue around.

I looked down upon hearing her words, finding a newfound interest in the knit-work of the white sweater I was wearing.

"I may have had a dream or two?" I meekly admitted, letting out a small nervous giggle.

Sue sighed deeply at my words.

"Look, I-"

"Why are you both just standing around for?!" Steve's booming voice came from behind and I quickly turned on my heel to come face-to-face with the greasy-haired man.

"Oh, er- Steve- I" I let out, but he put a hand up to stop me in my tracks.

"Never mind that right now. Sue, get to the back and ask Pam to quicken up. I've got a man here in dire need of his waffles." Steve ordered hurriedly, pointing to the small door to the kitchen.

Sue tightened her hold on my arm for a fraction of a second before complying with a soft nod and making her way to the back, dropping the notepad in my hands as she did.

Steve watched her leave before his black, beady eyes turned to look at me.

"You, get over here. I need you to do something." He called, ushering me over with a wriggle of his index finger. I edged closer, hesitantly, trying not to suffocate on the overpowering smell of the aftershave he was wearing.