Chapter 8

" I don't think you'll be able to go back."

                       °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

"What?" I uttered, looking to Negus questioningly. He didn't respond for a while, his eyes vacant and then, at long last, he let out a sigh.

"If what you say is true then it would be too dangerous for you to go back." He said simply, his stance terse.

Demir stood up from his seat, his arms folded.

"So, she can travel to the human world now?" He questioned, his tone aggressive.

Emut shook his head, his eyes deep in thought.

"We don't know that. It could be the eye of Horus." He reasoned to which Demir tutted.

"The eye of Horus hasn't been seen for a whole millennia. I highly doubt it." He retorted. Maya nodded at his words, looking to Negus.

"It's most definitely the eye of Ra. It means she can travel between worlds." She uttered.

Negus shook his head, a wilful look in his eyes.

"Worse. She knows about Hanna." He whispered and silence fell.

I waved my hands frantically to get their attention.

"Woah, what is going on?" I asked, although I had a pretty good idea and I didn't like the sound of it.

Emut shook his head, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

"You can't go back, Hanna. Anouke knows about you. It's too much of a risk going back." He reasoned and I opened my mouth to speak, but Demir beat me to it, a laugh escaping his mouth.

"Humans- they're too weak for their own good. What? Are we supposed to protect her for all eternity?" He said bluntly, a condescending tone to his voice and I seethed at his words.

"I'm sorry we can't all be a God's love child." I gritted out to which his grey eyes flashed dangerously. Thankfully, Negus spoke, saving me in the nick of time.

"You are quite right, Demir." He let out, nodding his head slowly. At this point, all of us looked at him in confusion, even Demir.

"I don't think you've ever agreed with me." Demir drawled, his head tilted in curiosity and suspicion clouding his eyes.

Negus smiled slightly at this, waving his hand dismissively.

"I believe in giving credit where credit is due. You said that Hanna was weak, very well. Her training will start first thing tomorrow. Emut you will be helping her. Is it settled?" He asked, a firm tone to his voice and I watched as Maya's fists clenched, a look of pure hatred on her face.

Emut nodded at Negus's words.

"I'll be there for her for as long as she needs me."

                    °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

"How about fish?" Ayla questioned, shoving the plate in my face, a grin on her face.

I shook my head, a smile on my face.

"No, it's okay, I'm not hungry." I reassured her, but it was to no avail.

After the ordeal in Negus's office, I had come to accept that I couldn't go back for the time being and decided to stay. Negus had said that training was essential to stay and tomorrow was the day that I began.

I had relayed this to Ayla when I had left the room and she squealed, excited that I would be joining her. She then proceeded to take me to the dining hall where a large and lengthy oak table stood to try feed me several dishes like sweetened bread, lentils, wild bird- all of which I had refused. After all that happened, food was the last thing on my mind.