Chapter 46

Splash

Splash

Splash

I could hear the noise as my shoe plunged into various puddles as I ran. My hair thrashed against the wind and I silently regretted not putting it up. Yet, how would I have known that I would end up running from danger.

Hanna.

"Take this left!" I called out and both boys followed my command as they kept in line beside me. I let out a small sigh of relief as we veered out of the narrow alleys and into the open streets, running alongside the River Trent.

I could feel the ache building in my throat and the taste of metal in my mouth, but urged myself to push on. My head pounded with every step.

It was only when the dread quelled down that I slowed into a jog to which the boys slowed their movements.

"What is it?" Emut asked, looking around at out surroundings. The streets were still sparse and dimly lit and I clenched my eyes shut as I tried to feel if the danger had truly gone. The sound of the water violently crashing into itself did nothing to diminish the anxiety.

My head was pounding with thoughts, but the voice had gone yet I knew we were not safe yet. There was something unsettling in the air.

"I don't know, but I can feel something is coming." I strained out, my eyes shut and, suddenly, I felt a rush of heat behind my eyes.

Flashes of images hit against the inside of my head like the waves that crashed into each other and I took in a deep inhale as I ignored the discomfort and chose instead to focus on what I was seeing.

I could see it.

Whatever was following us was cloaked in darkness, something I could liken to a nightmare I had once had. It was hooded and its face concealed, but it watched diligently. I saw the images of the motel; the bank and the bus and I held onto my head tightly.

"What is it?" I heard Demir's voice pulling me out the strange trance I had been in and my eyes snapped open as I looked to the concerned males in front of me, an anguished look on my face.

"Something's been here this whole time." I gritted out, dropping my hands to my side as I looked to the foggy streets where the predator could be hidden in plain sight.

"What do you mean?" Emut asked, following my gaze and I sucked in a breath before shaking my head.

"At the bank and the motel- it's been watching us. We need to leave." I said shakily and Emut nodded in understanding before turning to walk. Demir spared a cautious look behind us before following and I let out a sharp breath before moving ahead.

We moved hurriedly through the grey streets and I tried my best to keep up to their speed. I could feel the nausea building in my stomach, but not because of the running. It was something far more sinister.

"When you most need it, the doors of Aaru will open for you. Call it with your heart."

I held Madu's words in my mind as we weaved through the streets. I had tried my hardest everytime I called for Aaru yet to no avail. What had been different to each time? It seemed to only work in a moment of panic- once to get away from Debra and the other to get away from the Bakenanouke.

Perhaps, I hadn't felt the urgency in other times and, so, it failed to work. I tried bringing the panic up, but now that I was trying to focus, my mind was a blurry mess.

I gritted my teeth at my weak resolute. I had done this to the three of us and yet I was unable to take us out. All because I created problems I could not solve.