Chapter 85

Previously..

"That is all the men we have." The villager voiced out in worry as though his words would incite the sword of the hooded figure, but the hooded figure just nodded tiredly before making his way back to the entrance. However, he stopped short, causing the villager to bump into him. The villager began to apologise profusely, but the figure zoned it out as he pointed to a hidden cell in the corner.

"Who is that?" He more demanded than asked, gesturing to the crouched figure and the villager shook his head anxiously.

"You would not want him; he is nothing." He explained and, this time, the hooded figure directed his fury on the villager, making his stumble back. Grabbing the keys off the villager, he tightened his grip on the sword.

"And who are you to deny the words of Malika Anouke's soldier?" He edged out slowly and carefully yet this was a rhetorical question and before the villager could answer, the hooded figure had drove the sword through his voice box.

That would teach him to talk back.

After a thorough 10 minutes of cleaning his- now- impure sword, he made his way over to the cell with a smile.

Malika Anouke will definitely love this present.

~

The cell door creaked open eerily, echoing across the damp walls of the cellar. Yet the crouched individual didn't lift his head, choosing instead to keep playing with the bloody rat in his hand, making the hooded figure smile.

He moved closer until he was within a hand's distance and squatted. Even at this, the crouched individual didn't look up and the hooded figure frowned.

He hated being ignored.

"Look at me, boy." He commanded gruffly, watching with intrigue as the boy complied, lifting his head up and looking deep into his eyes, in a way that no other had dared. It pleased him.

"Are you here to kill me?" He asked casually, no hint of fear in his voice, but only a dead vacant look in his eyes. The hooded figure hadn't expected that, but he answered with ease, shaking his head in response.

"No, nothing of the sort." He answered, honestly and the boy just nodded in understanding, no sense of relief on his face. When all that his words were met with were silence, save for the squelching of the rodent in the boy's hand, he spoke again.

"Tell me, boy, why have you been imprisoned down here?" He asked, his curiosity getting the better of him. He was not one to ask much questions for he knew he deemed little worthy enough to answer. The boy before him was an enigma, however, in all senses.

"Pickpocketing." The boy answered with a shrug and the hooded figure grunted in confusion.

"Such a harsh punishment for a small crime?" He let out gruffly and he could have sworn the boy's lips turned up slightly, but it vanished before he could even process it.

"Pickpocketing corpses- I was a grave robber." The boy expanded with little remorse, his eyes focused on pulling out the rodent's intestines. The hooded figure almost shivered in excitement at this revelation; Malika Anouke would definitely appreciate this present.

He surveyed the frail boy with fresh eyes this time. He looked to be around just 8-9, but had already mastered the nuance of withholding emotion. If trained, he could provide to be a useful tool for their cause.

"What is your name, boy?" He asked, merely for formalities. After all, he planned to get to know the child and this was the first step.

The boy raised his head yet again, but this time there was a twinkle in his eyes- those green cat eyes that pulled in his prey.