Chapter 58

We walked the remaining distance in silence. I let out another gasp when we were half a metre away, shocked at how big it was. It looked as though it could caress the skies, it's paws as large as a van.

The boys picked up their weapons as they walked and, in turn, I tightened my hold on the hilt of the double sword. If this was truly where the key of Mars was, then there could be danger lurking.

Like, Anouke.

I shook the dark thought out of my head as we moved closer, coming to a halt when there was nothing around but the statue.

"Where would it be?" I whispered and Emut shook his head as we looked around.

"State your purpose."

We all stilled, looking up to the source of the eerie female voice yet only the blank face of the statue looked back at us. We looked around in confusion then before Emut stepped forward, clearing his throat.

"We wish for the Miftah of Mars." He answered, his voice steady and I thanked the lucky stars it wasn't me speaking. There was a small silence before the voice spoke again.

"Is it but greed that brings you to my throne?" The voice asked, the sound of it like a musical whisper and I shuddered at the sound.

Emut shook his head, placing his sword back in its sheath.

"Rather, we're here to protect it from the greed of others." He answered in a firm tone. There was a long silence before the voice spoke again.

"I will grant you that which you desire." The voice spoke finally and my eyebrows furrowed at its words. Even more so, when the ground gave out between its feet, revealing a sandy staircase into the darkness.

It was too easy.

Emut looked to the staircase with a frown before looking up to the face of the Sphinx, a thoughtful look on his face.

"No." He said simply and Maya let out a small sound of protest.

"No?" The voice asked in an almost smug manner.

Emut nodded, confirming his answer.

"You're the guard of the stone. I don't expect you to give it so easily." He explained and the voice let out a small eerie laugh that echoed through the desert.

"Those who think with their greed become so blinded by themselves that they refuse to acknowledge the dangers. Well done, child." The voice praised in an almost detached manner.

Emut nodded at this, his hand instinctively resting against the hilt of his weapon.

"So, what must one do to attain the key?" He asked tepidly and I waited with bated breath. Ayla squeezed my hand as we waited.

"You can have the key, so long as you answer me this." The voice began and we waited for its question. It spoke again, but this time slowly so as to let us take it in.

"From the child who was born on a mountain of gold;

From the creatures whose names were written in old.

If you wish to live to see tomorrow

Then let me drink your crystal sorrows.

Then feed me more of what you need to function,

A shade of berries that oozes seduction.

A drop of corruption and a drop of innocence,

Only with both of your acts of beneficence.

Only then can you achieve,

The key that you so desperately need."